Viewing a horse this week!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Finally able to get properly looking for our second horse, one that sounds ideal has come up and I'm quite excited about viewing her. She's a little younger and a bit greener than i set out for but I'm quite sold on her for some reason! Will be taking my sensible head to the viewing though. A little advice needed though, she's for sale through a dealer which I've been wary about in the past. Any extra things to look out for?

Sprat

Visit site
I think turning up earlier than arranged is always a good one. Insist on seeing the horse taken out of the field and groom / tack up yourself is always a good shout, you can generally get a 'feel' of something is off.

I did excessive googling of the girl I bought my last mare from (she was on sales livery) and as she was local asked around. I luckily heard no bad, but word of mouth is usually a good idea.

But aside from that, how exciting! Any piccies??

be positive

Visit site
I think turning up earlier than arranged is always a good one. Insist on seeing the horse taken out of the field and groom / tack up yourself is always a good shout, you can generally get a 'feel' of something is off.

I did excessive googling of the girl I bought my last mare from (she was on sales livery) and as she was local asked around. I luckily heard no bad, but word of mouth is usually a good idea.

But aside from that, how exciting! Any piccies??

If you are going to view at a dealers or pro yard you are unlikely to turn up to find the horse out in the field needing grooming, it will usually be in, groomed and presented properly ready for the buyers to view, you can still give it a brush over, check it's feet but at the first viewing do not expect them to want to put it back out in the field before you have even tried it, leave the faffing about for the second visit when you can ask for it to be left out and that you are able to get it ready by yourself if that is important to you.

First viewing is more about whether it really is the right type, if it is correct, sound, has the right temperament, see it ridden before you get on, when on do what you feel happy to do and make sure you get outside of the arena, go on the road and round a field, check it is happy to leave the yard.
If the dealer says it is green expect it to be even more green than they say, ask a few questions about it's history, they may make it up but it helps to have some idea of where it has been in it's life and why it is in a dealers yard, check the passport, don't make a rush decision, if it is the right one for you go back a second time ASAP before finalising the deal, it can be really difficult to do everything you want in one viewing, you can feel under pressure to get on with things, step back if there are any question marks and if it is the right one it will still be there the next day.

X

xspiralx

Google the dealers and search for their name under the Dodgy Dealers groups on Facebook - that will give you an indication if they've got a reputation for being a bit shady or underhand.

Expect the dealers not to know too much about the horse if they haven't had it long - but ask about its history, how it came to them, what it's done before you got it. See it doing what they've claimed it does - round a course of jumps, hacked out etc. You're unlikely to be able to take it on a long hack, but they should at least have somewhere you can go round the block.

Try not to be put under too much pressure. However if they're a dealer that does turn round horses quickly (and some do), if you want to go back for a second viewing then you might need to be able to do that within a day or so, or risk losing the horse.