Viewing Livery Yards

Dyllymoo

Visit site
What questions do you tend to ask when viewing a potential new yard?

What things are important for you when you view somewhere (i.e the look of the place, the YO seeming to be friendly etc.)

In what order do the facilities matter to you? (i.e. 1) Turnout 2) school 3) stable size etc.)

:)

Annagain

Visit site
I've been at my place 17 years. I had friends there, it had a very good reputation and a long waiting list so I didn't ask any questions, just said yes when I was offered a space!

Obviously everybody's priorities are different (and mine are different with my current horse rather than the one I moved to this yard with - luckily it still suited him and 15 years after he arrived we're still here) I'd have a think about what your priorities are and work out what you're prepared to compromise on and what you won't. For me (on DIY, obvs full livery would be different) it would be:
1. Turnout - unless it's 100% guaranteed every day (and with safe fencing) I wouldn't go there.
2. Decent YO/YM you can talk to and who's willing to help deal with problems e.g small pen turnout, fatty paddock - they don't need to be there but is the YO open to creating things like that if they're needed. (not always easy to judge in one visit, try to talk to other liveries as well as YO/YM or ask locally about reputation.)
3. Other liveries - do some discreet digging / Facebook stalking!
4. Stable size (as I have a big horse, otherwise it wouldn't bother me)
6. Storage (for tack/rugs/tools and trailer if necessary)
7. Hacking in the area
8. Facilities

be positive

Visit site
I have my own yard so not something that would normally be relevant but a while ago I went with clients to view 2 potential yards, they needed full livery for a first pony so daily turnout was a priority so he did not get sharp, yard 1 said turnout daily but not if it was raining! so that was ruled out as most winters it rains regularly and as it turned out they shut the fields last winter for several months when it was relatively dry, I suspect they have been closed since Oct this year.
Yard 2 insisted on feeding them hard feed, every one I saw was fat or obese, yes they had lovely deep clean beds and ad lib forage but a yard full of overweight equines was rather off putting, so I would say even for DIY it is worth looking at the ones already on site, read between the lines, if turnout is important go when you would expect to see the horses out, rather than getting there at the end of the day, so you can actually see them out and ensure facilities such as an arena is a) usable b) available when you need to use it.

rainni_day

Visit site
I just found a yard for my new horse, and these are the things I looked for (full livery):

1) Turnout
2) All weather floodlit menage - essential as I work full time so need to ride in the winter evenings
3) Knowledgeable, friendly staff and YO
4) Instructor on site - I needed support with lessons
5) Hacking - I am somewhat of a happy hacker and wanted good off road hacking
6) Tack room - heated and locked - riding for me is social too and I like a cuppa while cleaning tack / pottering
7) A nice feel - this one is hard - I didn't want to feel like it was a b1tchy yard, i wanted support and to be made to feel welcome
8) Good local support - visiting vets, physios etc
9) People to ride out with

These are all random thoughts, not sure where I would prioritise them but I found a yard that pretty much meets them x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The last time I looked for a yard the criteria was that -
1, I could afford it
2, it was within a sensible distance from home
3, it had good daily turnout in company for the horse
4, a toilet on site

Littlebear

Visit site
For me its the following;
1. Turnout, field size and amount of horses on the land, poo picking arrangements etc, fencing quality and hours allowed out (i would also jot this down as you talk to them) Is there enough land for the amount of stables you see to enable decent enough turnout? Viewing this time of year in the daytime would give you the best idea
2. Stable size, for me i would not want them to be able to touch noses when in stables or have such a tight barn arrangement that as you walk past other horses can touch (most mares i have had don't cope with this well)
3. Hacking options (not important to some but would matter alot to me)
4. Biosecurity measures, worming programmes etc, do the strangle test new horses? do they have isolation procedure?
5. Distance vs traffic routes, from where i am some places that are closer would take alot longer to get to due to traffic in that area
6. Does the y/o or y/m seem friendly and helpful? i don't mind a bit of a sharp direct person as long as the horses welfare is paramount over and above the worry of upsetting liveries
7. School, if this is important to you, check lighting arrangements and if any surcharge, does it look well maintained and is there a membrane, i cant tell you how many yards have them without and they look fine from a distance but they are impossible to ride in.
8. Are you allowed instructors on the yard?
9. Access times allowed?
10. Storage for me would be a minimal worry as long as i can keep basics there i would happily keep stuff at home but this is obv depending on what suits you
11. Security - what arrangements are there - any cctv? are gates kept locked? does anyone live onsite?
12. Are there any plans for the land to be sold and built on? Is the property for sale, i cant tell you how many yards in my area get sold for development leaving a tonne of people all scrambling for stables, a quick online search would answer that for you.
13. Costs, not only of rent but all additional services and consumables and whether you are allowed to buy your own in or not

Just a few ideas to consider asking :)

mini_b

Visit site
The last time I looked for a yard the criteria was that -
1, I could afford it
2, it was within a sensible distance from home
3, it had good daily turnout in company for the horse
4, a toilet on site

Ah yes, toilet on site is a must and overlooked! I forgot to ask and metaphorically sh*t myself when I realised I couldn’t find one.

Turns out there is a yard toilet phewwww

SaddlepadHoarder

Visit site
Same as above but also
If the yard is on farmland/ has crops field on the hacking if they have shoots.
Do liveries book the arena if they want it I.e. for lessons
On average how quickly are issues resolved (like fixing stables or broken fencing)
What happens if there are comps at the yard
What are their isolation procedures like if a horse has a virus

A good old digging for reviews and opinions from current/ex liveries never does any harm!

Chianti

Visit site
Worming programme
Who works on the yard
Hours its open
Poo picking
Feeding options available
Can you have own vet and farrier
Will they do minor first aid
Bedding used - how much put in per week
Will they fly spray
Any additional costs not covered in livery
If you have specific needs get those in writing - email to ask them to confirm

chocolategirl

Visit site
What questions do you tend to ask when viewing a potential new yard?

What things are important for you when you view somewhere (i.e the look of the place, the YO seeming to be friendly etc.)

In what order do the facilities matter to you? (i.e. 1) Turnout 2) school 3) stable size etc.)

:)
Ask how many times horses have had to stay in because of weather. So many yards say they turn out every day, but very few actually do? on our yard, if I was asked how many days have horses had to stay in over the last 25 years, the answer would be NONE! Our fields get wrecked every winter, but we have fresh paddocks to turn out in come spring, and we repair the damage done?‍♀️ Worming arrangements is another important question as is, sourcing of forage and bedding, arena rules, water usage (you’d be surprised!), maintenance arrangements as in who is responsible, arrangements for extra services etc, trailer parking, security level(very important nowadays ?) I’m sure there’s lots more but ?‍♀️