Views on ''gadgets''? Ridden & Lunging

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
As title really, what are you views on gadgets, such as the pessoa, side reins, chambon, harbridge, draw reins etc?

I'm personally not keen on a lot of gadgets out there..

I currently lunge my mares in side reins (when I do lunge) and do own a pessoa, which i've used maybe a few times- as i'm undecided on it. One mare works well in it and my other tends to come behind the vertical- which she can do anyway- so i don't think its suited to her (It's not fitted tightly).

I'm having to lunge and free-school more than usual at the moment as I've hurt my back. I was thinking of trying the chambon as I like the idea it allows to head to 'come out'.. what are your thoughts?

Also thoughts on the harbridge for lunging and/or ridden work?

I've personally never used a ridden 'gadget' so would like to hear your opinions :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I'm not a fan of anything that has an effect on the head carriage, I prefer something that allows the legs to come forward under them, and then as a result the back lifts and the whole carriage improves. I hate the idea of an artificial outline.

http://www.informeddesigns.co.uk/uploads/2/6/5/7/26571009/3344199.jpg I use this, but I have changed it so it attached to a roller and not the bit.

I have used a pessoa previously, not a fan unless fitted really well. And I think that unless you really know what you're looking for re: way of going, it can be very easy for it to be incorrect but look correct. Hence why I stopped using it!

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I find pessoas an excellent piece of kit as long as it is fitted properly and the horse is fit enough to work in it. They are quite strenuous and I despise seeing them used to 'bring horses back into work'

madlady

Visit site
I'm not a gadget fan at all for ridden or lunging - but - I do have a chambon and do like it.

I got it because the natural head carriage of mine is very very high (friesians) - I needed to encourage her to lower and relax which was proving difficult whilst riding. I think after 3 or 4 sessions with the chambon I found that I could then ask for (and get) a lower head carriage and could then feel her start to relax and come together a bit more - over time she learned to come from behind.

I'm about to have a couple of sessions with my younger mare as she is very on the forehand and head in the air and she isn't understanding that we want her to lower her head and work through her back - I'm hoping the chambon will help with that - I do like that the chambon isn't fixed and that the horse can work things out for themselves to a certain extent.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I find pessoas an excellent piece of kit as long as it is fitted properly and the horse is fit enough to work in it. They are quite strenuous and I despise seeing them used to 'bring horses back into work'

Yes totally agree with this! I've seen so many people using ''after time off''... x

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I'm not a gadget fan at all for ridden or lunging - but - I do have a chambon and do like it.

I got it because the natural head carriage of mine is very very high (friesians) - I needed to encourage her to lower and relax which was proving difficult whilst riding. I think after 3 or 4 sessions with the chambon I found that I could then ask for (and get) a lower head carriage and could then feel her start to relax and come together a bit more - over time she learned to come from behind.

I'm about to have a couple of sessions with my younger mare as she is very on the forehand and head in the air and she isn't understanding that we want her to lower her head and work through her back - I'm hoping the chambon will help with that - I do like that the chambon isn't fixed and that the horse can work things out for themselves to a certain extent.

Thank you, one of my mares is a friesian x tb and i know what you mean regarding head carriage. xx

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I have used a loose market harborough on one of our horses, which of all the 'hold the head down' ridden gadgets I quite like. Having never ridden in draw reins I can only imagine that they do the same job but with less chance of getting it wrong in non-skilled hands - know your limitations!

That said it wasn't so much a schooling aid and more a safety one. They were always used on the loosest setting, but it was enough to stop him sticking his ears up your nose (no exaggeration) and spinning - quite important hacking on a 16.3 worrier.

He's not been ridden in them for years now, about 3 months of use seemed to break the habit he'd had for all the time we'd owned him. We'd tried a bungee before that on instructors advice, didn't like that much.

As for on the lunge, I prefer to just lunge with 2 lines.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I have used a chambon to encourage my horse to lower his head and relax his topline while lunging, as his way of moving back then was that of a frozen giraffe. He got the idea and I haven't used one since then.

I.M.N.

Visit site
No gadgets when ridden, even martingales, 99.9% of things do more harm than good. If there are problems learn to ride better. And apart from backing, the idea of working from the ground is lost on me. (Please no one take offense, none of this is aimed at anyone, it is simply my opinion).

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
No gadgets when ridden, even martingales, 99.9% of things do more harm than good. If there are problems learn to ride better. And apart from backing, the idea of working from the ground is lost on me. (Please no one take offense, none of this is aimed at anyone, it is simply my opinion).

I've never used a ridden gadget, not even a martingale too. Different opinions are interesting though

Sleipnir

Visit site
And apart from backing, the idea of working from the ground is lost on me.

I agree on no gadgets when ridden. As for working from the ground - it can be an excellent tool to improve the horses' way of going and general straightness/balance, to put in the basics of advanced dressage elements, to have something to do when the ground is too wet/frozen solid or the horse is too old/recovering from an illness or injury to be ridden. I don't mean endless, thoughtless lunging, of course, but there's so much more to do when out of the saddle. :)

crabbymare

Visit site
nothing that pulls in or holds the head in place but I do have a chambon for lunging as it only encourages the head to come down and forwards. sometimes I will use a tail bandage or similar from the roller or saddle round the bum to help if a horse does not step under as it is soft and engourages. yes I have and will use a running martingale when needed but its fitted so the rings go to the throat and not short to the line of the reins

Farma

Visit site
I think it's all personal choice and as long as used with proper care and careful consideration they all have their place, the only thing I can't stand is a Pessoa!

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I am a fan of a standing martingale and use one on my youngster. Rarely comes into play and doesn't interfere with the rein contact. Also I may be burned at the stake but I use draw reins when hacking in company and to warm up if she is fresh. I like that I can control them unlike other gadgets which are fixed, even if they are elastic.

wiglet

Visit site
I don't use any gadgets for ridden work but I'm fortunate in that my horse doesn't need anything. I don't think all gadgets are bad - correctly fitted, something like a running martingale will only have any affect if needed. For lunging I occasionally use side reins - usually I don't use anything because I like her to carry her head where it's comfortable and have a bit of fun!
Dare I mention draw reins? I've never used them and wouldn't feel comfortable or experienced enough to use them but I know plenty of people who do use them... I guess for a fresh horse hacking out, from a safety point of view, draw reins would be acceptable - better safe than sorry :)

I.M.N.

Visit site
I agree on no gadgets when ridden. As for working from the ground - it can be an excellent tool to improve the horses' way of going and general straightness/balance, to put in the basics of advanced dressage elements, to have something to do when the ground is too wet/frozen solid or the horse is too old/recovering from an illness or injury to be ridden. I don't mean endless, thoughtless lunging, of course, but there's so much more to do when out of the saddle. :)
Sounds like you are far more imaginative than me :). The few times I've worked the older ones from the ground I just think 'sod this I could get much more done on board' lol.

Visit site
Most gadgets have their place when used correctly. When used incorrectly they are horrendous no matter how mild they are supposed to be.

I prefer long lining to anything else on the ground - gets me fit as well!

I have used draw reins, and regularly use them at work. They do their job and the beauty of them is that you are in complete control of how tight/short they are and when used correctly encourage rather than force.

I hate pessoas. I have tried them and don't like them. Get behind and stride on our with your horse. I find a much more natural, forward going carriage is achieved by long lining. Or maybe I just have lovely horses who just get it lol!

case895

Visit site
I lunge in a Pessoa and am currently schooling in a Market Harborough. I have started to phase the latter out as it was a temporary measure to fix a specific issue.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
The more I learn the more I know that the proliferation of gadgets is the direct result of a lack of good, in-hand training.

I do not mean to offend anyone here that uses gadgets. I used gadgets and it's because I knew no other way.

I urge anyone here to research in-hand "classical" training, find people who can get a horse to yield and move correctly on the ground with nothing more than a cavesson and a touch of a whip. Look up Philippe Karl, Klimke, Marijke de Jong etc. Look for UK trainers.

Learning the very BASICS of movement totally eliminates the use of gadgets - they are useless in making a horse bend, stretch, yield and flex. They cannot do any of those as you have no influence on the shoulders or the quarters... only the mouth and head. If you only want to know how to make your horse work with it's neck curled then go ahead. These gadgets will not open any more doors for you.

BBP

Visit site
I haven't used any with my horse, although I've been really tempted. Today I'm glad I haven't as the back vet who came out showed me that my horse cannot step through and work from behind properly. Not that he won't or doesn't want to, but can't, just lumbar sacral region was jammed solid and no amount of gadgets would have corrected it. He needs the right therapy, the right rehab and then I'm hoping we can carry on without gadgets. (Actually I lie, I sometimes side reins when leading out in hand as when he gets excited he flings his head around and it's helps stop me from getting smacked in the face!) Maybe in a fit healthy horse they might bring some benefits, but I think in a physically compromised animal it could put a lot of stress on an animal that isn't trying to be difficult.

wench

Visit site
Anything has its place when used at the right time in the right way.

I school my horse in draw reins about once a week.they are a useful tool as my horse has learnt many bad habits over the years. These help to direct her to do what I want her to far more easily than just a normal set of reins.

She's hard work to ride, therefore makes it easier for me, easier for her, and she halves the time in getting to go better without learning any more bad habits along the way