Vinnie's 1st xc report with me and a new arrival in the family

millitiger

Visit site
So Vinnie has been home for 3 weeks now, been to a little dressage show and jumped him twice at home so decided to go to a xc clinic with a trainer I have never been taught by before and a place we have never been before.

Got lost so arrived with approximately 3 minutes to spare but the people running the clinic were very welcoming and friendly which put me at ease :)

Started in the arena and Vinnie got a bit introvert so just tried to push on and keep him thinking forwards.

944412_10152007397139152_161319511_n.jpg

Went out into the xc field and he shrunk up a bit more and went a bit green on me. In hindsight, I needed to push on and really give him the confidence that I wanted to really do this and that I was super-confident about everything but instead, I reverted to riding him like a very green, spooky, backwards baby which meant he morphed into a very green, spooky, backwards baby :(

Long story short, I managed to get jumped off twice in about 15 minutes :rolleyes:
He went very green, very slowly and then propelled himself skywards over the fence in slow motion and landed at standstill- unfortunately I did not, and carried on to the ground!
This was one of his more sensible jumps over it... :rolleyes:
1010899_10152007460004152_2026893876_n.jpg

Then went over to the water and because I wasn't riding positively, Vinnie misread the step in, thought it was a ditch and that he needed to clear the entire water jump!! Yet again, I was jumped off but thankfully Vinnie succeeded in clearing the water jump without going in the water so I stayed dry :D
Take off... as you can see by my face, I had no idea we were about to clear the entire water!
969438_10152007417709152_1908388267_n.jpg

Gave myself a serious talking to as I sat on the floor, got a leg up and finally started riding with a bit of positivity and giving my poor horse some sort of direction- he was very pleased and started to jump much better, really taking me to the fences and jumping with his ears pricked :)

179728_10152007443534152_1461068900_n.jpg

972148_10152007410104152_636727342_n.jpg

1017067_10152007402189152_786172528_n.jpg

944412_10152007397154152_847099112_n.jpg

972148_10152007410109152_2135083984_n.jpg

944412_10152007397144152_1670807774_n.jpg

Still a few 'special' moments though if he wasn't sure so we just went higher :)

1017067_10152007402179152_766655178_n.jpg

944412_10152007397159152_578367975_n.jpg

Love this one, I am smiling and it looks like he is too! By this stage our positivity was at a new level and I was actually struggling to find the brakes!
1017067_10152007402184152_730247392_n.jpg

Vinnie and my mum sharing a 'moment' when I wasn't looking!
179728_10152007443549152_1272060786_n.jpg

And because if all else fails, we can always just do dressage with his poncy trot
1013016_10152007454164152_1350179021_n.jpg

So despite falling off TWICE :rolleyes: I felt the session was really useful and just what I needed to get back into the groove.
I really got on with the instructor so we are going back in 2 weeks for a private lesson and hopefully then we can start as we finished this session :)

In other news in the household, Millie has had her foal a few days early and he is a rather large and cheeky colt- went to see them today and I'm already in love!
Warning- lots of cute foal photos if you follow the link
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11874863#post11874863

So been a bit of a hectic week, I'm going to see baby again on the weekend and may taking the flying Vinnie out to some show jumping if I can find anything small on locally.

No food on offer as I had an enormous pub lunch so no dinner required- good job as my bachelorette flat doesn't seem to contain any food at the moment!

Vickijay

Visit site
Vinnie is lovely, poor you falling off twice though. How tall is he? He looks humungous!!

Your foal is yummy, how is he bred? I love the snoozing picture :)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Love Vinnie he reminds me of a horse who has a very special place in my heart:)

Foal is so cute have you got a name for him yet?

millitiger

Visit site
Vinnie is lovely, poor you falling off twice though. How tall is he? He looks humungous!!

Your foal is yummy, how is he bred? I love the snoozing picture :)

Yes, I have a very sore coccyx now from the first fall, it's a long way down!
Vinnie's just over 18hh on last measurement :)

Baby is by Parsons Rasputin (Raphael x Argentan) and out of Millie (One More Tiger x Inchinor) so Hanoverian x TB- hoping he will be able to jump and gallop well :)

I think you've definitely earned your pilot's licence!

Felt like it at times! No photos of my falls disappointingly as I felt like we were going atmospheric so would be interesting to see what it looked like!

Love Vinnie he reminds me of a horse who has a very special place in my heart:)

Foal is so cute have you got a name for him yet?

We love Vinnie too, such a lovely, kind horse :)

Baby has no name yet... need something either to do with measurements or 'tiger' for Millitiger and would like something Russian for the Rasputin link.
All suggestions welcome :)

Vickijay

Visit site
18h is a long way too fall off, especially twice! Poor you! He is so handsome though and looks lovely

Nicnac

Visit site
Scopey! Gosh after two falls, I would be broken - well done for getting back on and doing so well. A few years and you'll be doing the same on the new boy ;)

The mad TB

Visit site
Wow - look at that scope! Well done for staying on most of that :p

For names, the Russian for tiger is (very exotically) tigr but the Siberian tiger (95%of whoch live in russia) is also known as the Amur tiger so Amur?

sarabz

Visit site
He overjumps a lot (or so the photos seem) but it also looks like you need to give more with your hands. Seems like a lot of choking up with your hands over the fences. I know it's super-hard, especially with a guy that overjumps, but seems like you need to trust him more and give more with your hands forward. Doesn't mean, if you're doing it right, that you can't keep him from running out.

He looks gorgeous and you look like a great pair!!

millitiger

Visit site
Stunning foal :)

Vinnie is looking great - and very tall! :eek:

thank you on both counts, very pleased with both boys :)

Double vodka?

Those pics do really show off how big Vinnie is. And how nice he is too

I could have done with a vodka before the xc I think, I certainly had a few gins that night to help ease my achey bones!

Ouch for the falls but well done for the rest!

He looks and is - mahooooosive!

Thank you, felt like we made some progress by the end and he was jumping confidently so hope I haven't done too much damage.

Looking fantastic and huge!

thank you

18h is a long way too fall off, especially twice! Poor you! He is so handsome though and looks lovely

Yes, still a few twings now but thankfully just bruised :)
He is lovely, I just need to learn how to ride him!

Scopey! Gosh after two falls, I would be broken - well done for getting back on and doing so well. A few years and you'll be doing the same on the new boy ;)

New boy is meant to be for sale but whether that happens or not... I am already in love with him :eek:

Wow - look at that scope! Well done for staying on most of that :p

For names, the Russian for tiger is (very exotically) tigr but the Siberian tiger (95%of whoch live in russia) is also known as the Amur tiger so Amur?

Thank you :) Would like him to be slightly more economical but I just need to suck it up and learn how to stay on when we go skywards!

Amur is nice, google will be used a lot today to come up with some choices I think.

He overjumps a lot (or so the photos seem) but it also looks like you need to give more with your hands. Seems like a lot of choking up with your hands over the fences. I know it's super-hard, especially with a guy that overjumps, but seems like you need to trust him more and give more with your hands forward. Doesn't mean, if you're doing it right, that you can't keep him from running out.

He looks gorgeous and you look like a great pair!!

I actually got told off for giving too much with my hands at the start and then went too far the other way, and you are right, I am restricting him too much.
I'm not using the reins to stop him running out, more to try and stay on :eek: I know that's wrong and I need to get my lower leg MUCH stronger and also my core needs to be more stable so I can give with the hand without upsetting the rest of my balance.

Totally agree with your comments and I am trying but need to try much harder! The photos are good though as it shows what I need to work on and exactly where I'm going wrong :)

BeckyD

Visit site
Wow! :eek: That's a long way down to fall. Very well done for getting back on. He really is lush. Don't think I'd like to attempt to sit that jump though - rather you than me!

Foal gorgeous :D

TableDancer

Visit site
Well done for staying positive and moving things forward :) Who was instructor, just for interest?

It is soooo hard to stay in balance and out of the way when they are throwing these big, green, unpredictable leaps - my only advice would be to remember you have a neckstrap (sensibly) and use it more, that's what it is there for!

jenbleep

Visit site
Well done! I fell off three times in a xc once, but funnily enough toward the end of it I felt like I was riding round Badminton, so I know how you feel ;)

Looking forward to seeing more reports from Vinnie :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
He's deffo my fave ginormahorse! He's really well put together for such a big lad.

Nice to see you've taken the positives out of the outing :)

Foal is cooooote!

millitiger

Visit site
Wow! :eek: That's a long way down to fall. Very well done for getting back on. He really is lush. Don't think I'd like to attempt to sit that jump though - rather you than me!

Foal gorgeous :D

Thank you :)

'Attempt' is definitely the right word as not too sure I was very successful :eek:

Well done for staying positive and moving things forward :) Who was instructor, just for interest?

It is soooo hard to stay in balance and out of the way when they are throwing these big, green, unpredictable leaps - my only advice would be to remember you have a neckstrap (sensibly) and use it more, that's what it is there for!

Instructor was John Poole? Really great, no nonsense, no faffing which is just what I need :)

Yes, I got shouted at about my neckstrp too and was using my breastplate for the water jump towards the end, which really helped and made Vinnie jump more sensibly- just need to remember it for the rest of the fences too but for some reason I don't do it automatically. Will try next time though so thank you :)

Well done! I fell off three times in a xc once, but funnily enough toward the end of it I felt like I was riding round Badminton, so I know how you feel ;)

Looking forward to seeing more reports from Vinnie :D

Yes, a little humiliation and feeling like I need to be back on the leadrein is great motivation to get back on and try to ride better- Vinnie was very grateful when he actually started to receive some instruction from me!

He's deffo my fave ginormahorse! He's really well put together for such a big lad.

Nice to see you've taken the positives out of the outing :)

Foal is cooooote!

thank you :) He is like a 16.2hh horse that has been enlarged so not too out of proportion, just huge!
Got to take the positives otherwise I would probably just cry and give up! :eek:

Great photo's! Love the smiling one and I'm very impressed with you just getting on with it after 2 falls from that height!

I was sat on the floor for a bit after the 2nd fall and a few angry tears were shed but he's my horse and I need to man up and learn to ride him properly- the learning curve seems very steep at the moment though! :D

Lolo

Visit site
I'm surprised you don't literally go into orbit with his jump! Al's struggling on Smokey, who could comfortably walk under Vinny :eek:

You both look great, and really confident together despite gravity getting you a few times.

millitiger

Visit site
I would have fallen off at least a dozen times more, judging by the jump in those pics :D He is truly stunning, absolutely bl00dy gorgeous.

It doesn't feel too unseating when we have a bit more pace as he then travels more forwards over the fence rather than up, up and away!
I just need to sort my position out so we can confidently have that bit of extra pace :)

He looks fab! I think I'd have fallen off at every fence :eek:

He is fab (in my unbiased opinion!) and I think it was more luck than skill that kept me in the plate the majority of the time :)
Thankfully he is very genuine and 'caught' me a few times on landing.

I'm surprised you don't literally go into orbit with his jump! Al's struggling on Smokey, who could comfortably walk under Vinny :eek:
You both look great, and really confident together despite gravity getting you a few times.

Thank you :) We felt really confident for the 2nd half, I just need to be more positive from the start next time we go and hopefully that will help us both.

spookypony

Visit site
Hey, at that height, he'll soon just be stepping over everything! :D Sounds like a very positive day, and SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!! at the sleeping foaly pic! :)