Vinnie's 2014 debut... nearly a good one!

millitiger

Visit site
So we have had a bit of a quiet winter; possibly as I just wanted to hibernate with all of the rain and also because Vinnie decided that 1/2 a slice of hay a day was sufficient for an 18hh horse and refused to eat a stalk more than that so spent most of winter looking like a racing greyhound :(

So onto Solihull and we had dressage of 8.36 so early start, made more early by the clocks changing- I really loved my alarm that morning!

Dressage warm up was well behaved but a bit uninspiring and he was a little bit tight and 'fake' through his neck.
This continued when we went through the hedge and into the arena but he didn't use the tension against me and so we piloted a clear round but nothing to right home about.

SJ was... interesting! :rolleyes: In hindsight, he needed more time warming up but the warm up at Solihull is v.tight and I couldn't really get him where I wanted in front of my leg.
Jumped the first nicely and then the behind the leg issue came and bit me and we exited stage left rather sharply before I'd even lined him up for the 2nd fence! :mad: So with some pretty riding I reminded him we were here to jump and I didn't care a damn how we got to/over the fence, he was going. As soon as he realised there was a fence, he locked on and sailed over but I had upset him slightly with my 'correction.'
Had an absolute launch at fence 3 (in the photos his back feet are about 10ft in the air over it) and the ground rushed up to meet me but I was caught by his giant llama neck, phew! :eek:

Little circle to regroup as we were stationary in a related distance and everything got a bit better and more together and he sailed around clearing everything by 3 feet which is slightly uncomfortable for me but at least I was landing in the saddle!
Finished with 10 faults, I was a bit gutted afterwards but then I remembered he has only been to one SJ party this year so it is my own fault really.

Onto XC... we went schooling at Swalcliffe 2 weeks before and he warmed up beautifully and then I fell off twice in 5 minutes :eek: First time between fences, second time we went over a fence and I fell off as we landed :confused: He really is the most difficult horse to sit to!

So schooled again the weekend before (in a different saddle) and he was superb :D And I didn't fall off :D:D:D
So back to Solihull and I rode him like I stole him for the first 3 fences to ensure we were definitely going!
Fence 5 was a train type thing and I thought he may bobble at it so went extra wide to ensure we were definitely straight.
As we swung back towards it, we were about 50 yards out and the little git dropped the anchor and decided to rear and leap sideways 3-4 times :mad: :mad:
Once the tantrum had finished, I repointed him at the fence and he went 'oh, a jump! Why didn't you tell me?' and trotted in and popped it with no issues at all :rolleyes: Git.
After that, he literally flew and didn't look or hesitate at anything :D Super confident everywhere, lovely through the water and down the step and I really just had to point and confirm fences for him.

Wasn't sure if he would get a 20 or not for disobedience for the waving at the crowds; we weren't anywhere near the fence but we were definitely disobedient!

Went to the scoreboard to check and then saw he had a 26 dressage!! :eek: Totally unexpected and I'm not entirely sure what he did to warrant it but I'm not complaining.
No penalties for the waving, just 7 time to add so finished on around a 42 and in 14th place.

Lots to work on and improve but I was very pleased with him. This time last year, I never would have imagined we would be out eventing as i really couldn't ride one side of him, very pleased with his attitude make over :)

So off the ALW on Sunday, then schooling at Sapey the weekend after as I have entered him for Broadway in 2 weeks in the next class up, exciting to have him registered BE at last!

Thanks for reading :)

lex2501

Visit site
Well I would say that is a bloody good start to the season given the lack of match practice over winter! Very best of luck for the next one :) And FAB dressage score! Any pics?!?

PorkChop

Visit site
Looking forward to some lovely Vinnie pictures in the near future :D

He obviously likes to keep you on your toes, but all in all a good start and a super dressage score, he is so pleasing on the eye ;) and very exciting you are raring to go and registered - look forward to reading about his next outing.

j1ffy

Visit site
Well done, it's great to see that you two are out and running again! And ouch at falling off 18hh of horse... I'm sure with a bit more match practice you'll soon be getting double clears :D

millitiger

Visit site
Ah well done despite the odd blip! :) good luck at ALW - and yay to registering for BE! :D

yay to registering indeed but I am now very poor ha!

Great report - sounds a right character :wink3:

Thank you, character sounds about right :) although I'm sure quite a few of the antics are due to my inept ability in the saddle.

well done! that sounds like a really good start to the season!

thank you, very pleased with the llama.

Well I would say that is a bloody good start to the season given the lack of match practice over winter! Very best of luck for the next one :) And FAB dressage score! Any pics?!?

yes, naughty me not getting him out over winter.
only pro photos as mum thinks if she takes the camera she will jinx us somehow.
fab and flukey dressage perhaps, this weekend will see if we can repeat it.

Well done! Sounds like a great start.

Thank you :)
Feel like we are 2 years behind where he should be but we are where we are and we had fun.

Looking forward to some lovely Vinnie pictures in the near future :D

He obviously likes to keep you on your toes, but all in all a good start and a super dressage score, he is so pleasing on the eye ;) and very exciting you are raring to go and registered - look forward to reading about his next outing.

Thank you. Got the dressage sheet in the post today and comments match what I felt but she seems to have given him a mark more than I would for every movement :)

Well done and best of luck to you and vinnie. ;) :)

Well done, it's great to see that you two are out and running again! And ouch at falling off 18hh of horse... I'm sure with a bit more match practice you'll soon be getting double clears :D

thanks, we are so pleased to be out again too. So lovely to ride a horse who loves his job, even if he does ad-lib a bit sometimes!

Twiglet

Visit site
I'm not sure what sounds scarier, the falling off from 18hh or sitting to the rear at that height!
Fab result though, always nice when the judge gets a better impression than you do :)

millitiger

Visit site
Wow sounds like a good start, and a fab dressage score. Another who thinks falling off the giant horse cant be fun.

Falling off isn't actually that bad, you get lots of time to prepare for landing!

Well done! the (giant) monkey was clearly a bit happy about eventing again!
pics please next time - would love to see him in action again :)

thank you, have pics from yest at ALW, and no cheeky monkey moments either :)

I'm not sure what sounds scarier, the falling off from 18hh or sitting to the rear at that height!
Fab result though, always nice when the judge gets a better impression than you do :)

I'd rather no falling off or rearing tbh ha, exemplary behaviour yesterday though and got an even better dressage mark, this one felt deserved though :)