Vinnie's much anticipated (by me!) BE debut report

millitiger

Visit site
So, Vinnie went to Howick yesterday for his first ever event- he saw dressage boards about a year ago, went clear round jumping 2 weeks ago and went xc schooling on Saturday... so was very well prepared ;)

I'll try and be brief!

He was very professional in the dressage warm up and looked stonking! :)
Considering he has never seen anything like that before, he was super relaxed and just got on with it.
Went up to do his test (first test on grass and second test ever! :cool:) and he fell out of the arena on his first turn (20x40 is very small when you are his size!) but the rest of his test looked pretty polished and he scored a 31 which I was superpleased with :)

Only have photos of his warm up as although I videoed his test, it looks like he is about 6 miles away :cool:

733974_10151863421519152_1208013329_n.jpg

165398_10151863421564152_2071250675_n.jpg

Show jumping was quite bright which worried me!
He is struggling at the moment with co-ordination and working out which legs go where but my main hope was that he had a go and at least tried- he thought about having a little nap when he went in but Vittoria stayed really cool and managed to get him going without any drama.

Short story, he had 3 poles down but I am still really happy :)
Vittoria had to ride him fairly positively to make sure he had the confidence to actually take off and with his lack of co-ordination as well, poles did roll.
BUT, he fulfilled my brief and gave it a good try and I'm sure the rest will come with strength and ring practice.

3003_10151864577624152_1661554373_n.jpg

So onto xc- I just wanted him to leave the startbox if I'm totally honest!
I drank quite a bit of my hipflask and then played 'nanny horse' for Vinnie and took him down to the warm up and then he followed me across to the startbox.
Obviously no outside assistance ;) but I ran up to the first fence as he started, just to give him some reassurance by being able to follow 'mummy'.
It worked and he trotted suspiciously out after me and looked a little surprised by the first fence but did take off! I stopped running as he set off to the 2nd fence and he did pause for a bit and end up walking into it- at this point I thought I was going to have to run all of the way around with him but thankfully he landed in canter and set off (very slowly!) to fence 3 :)

Shorter version- he jumped all of the way around and stayed in canter for most of his round.
He did have a wobble and a hesitation at the ditch and my heart sank as I thought he would jack it in but Vittoria managed to get the start button reignited and he popped the ditch and then the 'b' element fine and continued clear around the rest of the course :)

3003_10151864577634152_160561055_n.jpg

So... very, very pleased with my boy for strapping on some brave pants and having a good bash at everything he was faced with.
And even more pleased with my decision to send him to Vittoria- she has given him so much confidence and is always so poised and calm and has treated him so well and been very open about everything to do with his management and training- I only wish I had enough money to keep Vinnie there indefinitely!

Not sure when Vinnie's next trip out will be- he is having a few days off now to let his mind catch up with what he has done and I am sure he will spend it all sleeping as he was pretty pooped after being ridden 3x in a day!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
He's come a long way; think that's a really promising start as it takes time for these big ones to get their act together, it's hard co-ordinating feet, body and brain to do the same thing at the same time! Looks very well too.

SW3

Visit site
Aha, Millitiger, I was the dressage steward for your big chap on Sunday (section M?) .... I have to say, he is super gorgeous, (and quite ginormous aswell!) the other steward and I were marvelling at his hugeness... and thought him quite lovely as well :)

Vittoria rides beautifully, I wish my position was half as good as hers!

Nicnac

Visit site
Was wondering why the rider was wearing blue jods BE then twigged who the rider is ;)

She's a fabulous rider and your boy is lovely!

millitiger

Visit site
Aw bless him! What a clever grown up boy. He's very classy looking :).

Thank you :) Mum and I kept looking at each other in the dressage warm up and grinning, remembering back when he was the ugliest foal in the world!

He's come a long way; think that's a really promising start as it takes time for these big ones to get their act together, it's hard co-ordinating feet, body and brain to do the same thing at the same time! Looks very well too.

He has come a really long way; hard to believe he has only been with Vittoria for 6 weeks but the change in his outlook is huge.
You're right, its very hard for him to get everything working together but we were so pleased with his attitude.
Vittoria has worked really hard to get him to try and carry weight- he has 3 meals a day and has a starter, main and dessert for his dinner! :)

Aha, Millitiger, I was the dressage steward for your big chap on Sunday (section M?) .... I have to say, he is super gorgeous, (and quite ginormous aswell!) the other steward and I were marvelling at his hugeness... and thought him quite lovely as well :)

Vittoria rides beautifully, I wish my position was half as good as hers!

Ah, hello! I was the nervous looking 'mum' running about after him and swigging from a hipflask!
He is enormous, I never expected him to grow so big but he is like a lovely big lapdog.
Yes, I wish I could look like Vittoria on a horse too! So secure but so relaxed at the same time and always in the right place to help the horse.

Lovely!

Can I ask how big he is?

His jump looks huge! :eek:

He is about 18.1hh. Although I registered him with BE as 17.3hh as my fingers refused to type 18 anything into that space!
He feels like he jumps me off down grids and over fences at home so Vittoria must have felt she was going into space :)

Was wondering why the rider was wearing blue jods BE then twigged who the rider is ;)

She's a fabulous rider and your boy is lovely!

Thank you :)
Wish I could wear blue for eventing; it looks so smart and stays so clean!

He is looking very good and grown up and it sounds like he was realy brave!

He tried very hard to be brave- it is a struggle for him but he put his faith in his rider and gave it his best.
When he comes home we are going to do as many pairs HTs and hunt rides as possible, to give him a nanny and make sure he finds it all very fun.

what a super debut, well done Vinnie! Vittoria rides him beautifully. I hope Vinnie enjoys his days off!!

Thank you :) I am sure he is probably still asleep today :)

3Beasties

Visit site
He loves it looks great. Super shiny too!

Probably a stupid question but how come she is allowed to wear blue jods?

PorkChop

Visit site
He is looking amazing, I am sure that once he gets his co-ordination sorted he is going to be an extremely smart eventer, very exciting :)

rara007

Visit site
He looks fab :) He's got nice proportions for a big (young?) horse :) Another one that wouldn't mind competing in dark jods :p

Feisty Mare

Visit site

I believe it's because she is in the Italian military so competes in uniform (someone more eventery can correct me if I'm wrong!)

Jesstickle

Visit site
He looks brilliant and really happy in his work. You must be so excited for the season after such a cracking debut :)

Lolo

Visit site
He's beautiful, he looks so well. I'm quietly goggling over how much he must be fed, as Reg is a hand smaller and needs a ridiculous amount of food to keep him looking well... Big-framed horses are just bottomless pits!

Puppy

Visit site
Wow! They looks brilliant :) You deserve to be very proud :) I shall look forward to more reports.

millitiger

Visit site
Fantastic, what a lovely rider Vittoria is. He looks brill in the xc photo.

So where next for V2 (V Squared!)

Thank you; I said to Vittoria he looks much more confident in the photo than he did in 'real life' as he was going around very slowly!

Nothing else is booked in as we weren't sure how he was going to react so although he is registered, he is only competing on a ticket at the moment.
And Vittoria has a few big 3DEs coming up in the next few weeks so understandably Vinnie will be going on the backburner for a bit while she concentrates on her proper horses :)

He looks absolutely brilliant! What a promising first outing, you must be thrilled!! :)

Thanks, yes, still walking on air today. Amazing how happy it can make you, even when you aren't riding!

Sounds like a really promising start for him! He looks and sounds like such a gent :)

Thanks, I hope it bodes well for future outings. He really impressed me with his attitude.
He is such a gentle giant, just like a giant foal really :)

Bless him, he's just lovely! Sounds like Vittoria is great for him. Looking forward to more reports!

Yes, Vittoria really is super. I just wish he had gone there last year but as he is still maturing and growing I don't think a year of hacking and popping crosspoles with me did him too much harm.

He loves it looks great. Super shiny too!

Thank you!
Yes, as other people have said, she wears the navy for the Italian Military :)

He looks stunning and what a good debut.

He is looking amazing, I am sure that once he gets his co-ordination sorted he is going to be an extremely smart eventer, very exciting :)

Thanks :) I think/hope that once he gets stronger and also once he realises how much fun it is, he will be really fab.
I bought him with the hope of scaling the BE ladder, but he is such a lovely horse to deal with and have around I would be happy just playing around at PN/Novice.
He has ruined my competitive nature! :D

He looks fab :) He's got nice proportions for a big (young?) horse :) Another one that wouldn't mind competing in dark jods :p

I know, he doesn't look like a huge horse until you see him next to the others in the warm up :)
He is like a nice 16.2hh eventer model that has been blown up!

He looks brilliant and really happy in his work. You must be so excited for the season after such a cracking debut :)

Thanks, I am excited for the season and it was just nice to be out eventing again, even if I wasn't riding :) Not sure how many more events he will do as he seems to be growing again but we will see how he is after his mini-break- he might be raring to go again!

he is looking fab :D

He's beautiful, he looks so well. I'm quietly goggling over how much he must be fed, as Reg is a hand smaller and needs a ridiculous amount of food to keep him looking well... Big-framed horses are just bottomless pits!

He never ate a huge amount of hard feed with me but would always polish off around 14kg of hay/day.
Obviously now he is working so much harder, he is getting much more hard feed but we aren't really sure where he puts it because he looks leaner than a horse that's been around the Grand National!

Wow! They looks brilliant :) You deserve to be very proud :) I shall look forward to more reports.

Thank you :) I am very proud of him but also have a nagging feeling that I am a wet lettuce for not doing it myself.
I know it is best for him though and that's the main consideration.

Oh bless him, what a lovely genuine boy :)

Thank you; he really did try and his little concenration face when he was show jumping was just too cute! He was concentrating so hard his ears were nearly touching!

Fiona

Visit site
Doesn't he look handsome, really uphill and balanced for a youngster :D

We did the same with Flo before her first 2 events (sent her to a pro) and have never regretted it, gave her such a good start.....

Fiona

millitiger

Visit site
He's fab - can't help but agree that Vittoria also looks fabulous - a position to die for!

Thanks and yes, she is in the perfect position in every photo I have!

He looks super :) I've admired Vittoria as a rider for a very long time and looks like your one is getting along fab with her!

Thank you; she really seems to have worked out how to get the best out of him and is always very positive about him and his work which I think helps with his confidence :)

Doesn't he look handsome, really uphill and balanced for a youngster :D

We did the same with Flo before her first 2 events (sent her to a pro) and have never regretted it, gave her such a good start.....

Fiona

He is nicely built and has always been well balanced- my mum commented that even when he was going around the xc you could barely hear him coming as he is so light over the ground :) Just needs to work out how to bend his knees properly when jumping!

Definitely pleased about him being there and Vittoria taking him to his first event- she was so calm and I know I would have been a nervous wreck and rubbed off on him.

only_me

Visit site
He looks fab and very confident in the photos! making nothing of those fences, and I agree with big horses brains being a long way from their feet! :)