Vinnie's second BE report- what an improvement!

millitiger

Visit site
So Vinnie's first event was Howick where he did a 31 dressage, 3 poles showjumping and 2 hesitations at the ditch xc; he was quite overwhelmed in the show-jumping and needed me to run in front of him for a bit on the cross country but we were thrilled that he completed!

Since then Vittoria has taken him showjumping and for a few xc schools and said he has been like a different horse since Howick- no napping or backwards thoughts at all, no lead required for xc and jumping everything on a nice, loose rein.
I think the boy knows what his job is now and he likes it! :)

So, onto this week where he went to Milton Keynes for his second event.

Dressage, didn't seem as good as Howick as he was being a bit of a diva about his mouth and a bit unsteady in the contact with a few inverted moments but the nice bits were good... I guestimated he would be on about a 34.
He only went and got a 27!!! His 3rd ever dressage test and his 2nd on grass! I think the judges half fall in love with him being big and flashy and half sympathise with him because he bears an uncanny resemblance to Disney's Goofy!

Show jumping- he seemed to warm up better but he does struggle a bit with getting a bouncy canter and struggles with sj strides, it will come as he gets older I hope :)
Went into the ring and he cantered straight in with no hesitation, so proud!!
Still being a diva about his mouth and was even worse in the sj so poor Vittoria wasn't allowed to touch the reins and had to 'hunt' around with no half halts or setting up allowed :rolleyes:
It didn't look very tidy but he did great- lolloped around in his huge stride but didn't back off anywhere or spook at any of the fillers.
He took a pole out with his back feet... but that was it! Just the 4 faults so a big improvement.

Not sure if the photos will work- I have ordered some but am impatient waiting! He looks much tidier in photos rather oddly??

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16162#image=642027
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16162#image=642029
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16162#image=642030
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16162#image=642032

I walked the xc course with Vittoria and it was lovely- nice and bold and open without anything too tricky or stuffy.
Vinnie changed back into his dressage bridle in the hope of settling the contact diva and went to warm up- with my hanging around the start box so I could run to the first fence with him ;)

Turns out he didn't need me at all! Trotted out of the start box, popped the first fence and disappeared out of view without even a glance back at me huffing and puffing my way along the string! :cool:
Long story short, he jumped around everything clear and passed me on the way home with his ears pricked and looking full of confidence.
Finished with 6 time penalties but frankly, I don't care as Vittoria wasn't riding for the time and we know with his huge gangly legs, it won't be a problem in the future.

Looking awfully green and dangly as he spotted the ditch at the last moment!
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16177#image=643265
Spotting the water
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16178#image=643337
And getting a big pat for going in!
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16178#image=643339

Vittoria was over the moon with him and the change in his attitude and bravery.
I am so, so pleased I decided to send him there as she has made such a huge difference to Vinnie and given him some brave pants :)
I knew all along that although he is sharp, the bulk of the naughtiness came from a big lack of confidence and despite a number of pro riders advising me to give up on him as he was talented but 'no good' I KNEW he would be fine if we could just unlock his brain.
He is fine with me generally but I never really push him and always treated him like a baby and now I need to treat him like the 'proper' grown up horse he has become at boarding school!

So... he is having a few easy weeks while Vittoria concentrates on Badminton and Chatsworth which might be *slightly* more important that Vinnie's Intro runs (!) and also because he needs a bit of time out to process everything.
Then he is coming home in May and it is up to me to try and replicate what he has done at boarding school- I'm not kidding myself I can ride even 1/5 as well as Vittoria, but I'm going to give it my best shot!
We are already booked in for some BE sj training and a xc clinic with Polly Stockton so hoping to hit the ground running when he arrives home!

No nice food as I'm off the Morocco next week and need to get into a bikini without terrifying all around the pool! :rolleyes:

TableDancer

Visit site
Awww what a lovely report, and it looks like he is trying sooo hard, bless him! Well done V for doing such a great job, and you for investing the time and money :) Best of luck with him when he comes home :)

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Ah he is lovely and clearly coming on very well. He seemed to be just ahead of me at Milton keynes was just leaving the SJ as I got there I saw Vittoria and assumed it was yours she was riding theres not many that big about! For what its worth I thought the XC was quite tough for intro (although with easy alternatives) the house to corner and trakhener were both decent questions for the level and my mare who is now in her third season at Intro and a pretty ace XC horse had a google at that ditch she certainly gave it enough room anyway:

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16179#image=643428

So if hes improving that much run to run he'll be moving up the levels before you know it. I hope you have lots of fun together.

millitiger

Visit site
Awww what a lovely report, and it looks like he is trying sooo hard, bless him! Well done V for doing such a great job, and you for investing the time and money :) Best of luck with him when he comes home :)

Thank you, his little concentrate face is very cute! :)
When I think of how much he has cost me since buying him a foal, I could have bought a seriously classy 5yro ready to go :rolleyes: But he is worth it as he is so lovely :)

Ah he is lovely and clearly coming on very well. He seemed to be just ahead of me at Milton keynes was just leaving the SJ as I got there I saw Vittoria and assumed it was yours she was riding theres not many that big about! For what its worth I thought the XC was quite tough for intro (although with easy alternatives) the house to corner and trakhener were both decent questions for the level and my mare who is now in her third season at Intro and a pretty ace XC horse had a google at that ditch she certainly gave it enough room anyway:

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=16179#image=643428

So if hes improving that much run to run he'll be moving up the levels before you know it. I hope you have lots of fun together.

Thank you :)
I thought the xc was plenty big enough but at least it encouraged forward riding and let the inexperienced ones get into a rhythm.
Awful as it sounds, I didn't even realise there were alternatives- we certainly didn't walk them on our sprint around.
Your mare looks great in the photo, I hope you had a good day too :)

He is looking fabulous :D

Best of luck with him when he comes home - I'm sure you will both be just fine :)

Thank you :) I am quietly bricking it that I will ruin him but that's always been my worry with Vinnie- I will just have to match Vinnie's brave pants with a pair of my own and get on with it! ;)

Millie-Rose

Visit site
We had a good day thank you slightly hampered by a rubbish dressage of 38.5 she really wasn't impressed with the flies in her ears :eek:, one down SJ which is pretty normal for us as she's not the most careful but she gave me an awesome ride XC and feels very ready for BE100 now. I've had her from an unbroken 4 year old and like you have sometimes wished I'd bought something a bit more ready made (as I'm quite rubbish) but shes so honest and tries so hard for me it was def the right decision in the end.

noname

Visit site
Gosh, he's a big boy! Makes vittoria look tiny! There's a couple of pics of vittoria riding a bay horse on the uptown eventing FB page not sure if its vinnie. I'm on a BB so photos aren't very clear.

Very best of luck with him. Look forward to more reports!

Nicnac

Visit site
Gosh, hasn't he come on since 1st event? You must be over the moon. Have always admired V's riding - she just seems to be at one with whatever she's on.

Lovely photos - he's scopey isn't he ;)

millitiger

Visit site
He looks great. He's a gorgeous big lad.

Thank you, I think he's the loveliest horse in the world but I'm a tiny bit biased!

Aw I love him, he just seems so genuine and eager :)

Thanks, he does try very hard to do the right thing and is more like a dog than a horse really :)

We had a good day thank you slightly hampered by a rubbish dressage of 38.5 she really wasn't impressed with the flies in her ears :eek:, one down SJ which is pretty normal for us as she's not the most careful but she gave me an awesome ride XC and feels very ready for BE100 now. I've had her from an unbroken 4 year old and like you have sometimes wished I'd bought something a bit more ready made (as I'm quite rubbish) but shes so honest and tries so hard for me it was def the right decision in the end.

Glad you had a good day, hope your step up to PN goes well, I'm sure it will :)

Gosh, he's a big boy! Makes vittoria look tiny! There's a couple of pics of vittoria riding a bay horse on the uptown eventing FB page not sure if its vinnie. I'm on a BB so photos aren't very clear.

Very best of luck with him. Look forward to more reports!

Yep, pretty huge! Not meant to be but just kept growing.
Think the Uptown Eventing photos are from Weds so I think will probably be Pennyz's younger brother Free Flight?

There will be reports aplenty once he is home, with lots of photos and videos as mum will be spectator and won't be nervously glued to her hipflask like me so will be armed with a camera! :)

millitiger

Visit site
Gosh, hasn't he come on since 1st event? You must be over the moon. Have always admired V's riding - she just seems to be at one with whatever she's on.

Lovely photos - he's scopey isn't he ;)

He has improved so much, almost like a grown up now! :)
All down to Vittoria, she has done an amazing job with him and really brought him out of his shell.

He looks brilliant - so much braver now but bloody hell he is big! The one advantage of this is he makes the jumps look about 60cm!

He definitely makes the jumps look tiny ;) I think once he has a bit more ringcraft he should move up quite quickly as Intro is almost too small for him already as he can barely see the fences! :)

Firewell

Visit site
Oh bless him! He makes the showjumps look about 1ft! He has such a serious look on his handsome face awwww.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I was giggling away at the first XC picture- just the expression on his face!

He is very lovely- how big is he? Is he very big or is Vittoria quite small?

siennamum

Visit site
Brilliant, well done Vinnie. How interesting that he is still growing into himself, as I recall he is the same age as my boy - who finally looks like an adult at 7. Vinnie will look even better at 8 I bet.

millitiger

Visit site
Oh bless him! He makes the showjumps look about 1ft! He has such a serious look on his handsome face awwww.

I know I love his cute concentrating face :eek:
He does try very hard but sometimes looks like a drunk spider, with legs everywhere!

I was giggling away at the first XC picture- just the expression on his face!

He is very lovely- how big is he? Is he very big or is Vittoria quite small?

Ummm... he's about 18.1hh but I've registered him with BE as 17.3hh as my fingers refused to type 18 anything!
Think Vittoria is about 5'7ft but very slim.

looking great - lovely report

Thank you :)

Vinnie is cool! :D

I like hime, lots!!! And shoosh about your holiday, so unfair ;)

He is cool and he is so lovely to do around the box and the yard- mum is actually quite looking forward to being 'groom' when he comes home as he's so soppy and easy to deal with :)

First holiday in 7 years so I will be screaming it from the rooftops! :D

Brilliant, well done Vinnie. How interesting that he is still growing into himself, as I recall he is the same age as my boy - who finally looks like an adult at 7. Vinnie will look even better at 8 I bet.

I think it will be another year or maybe even two, before he is really finished growing and is furnished up.
He looks like an overgrown 2yro at the moment when he is stripped off but I'm hoping a summer of good grass will help him and he will have another break this winter too as it seems to do him the power of good to have shoes off and be feral for a month or two with his friend Henry :)

Ahh how fantastic :) He makes the jumps look teeny tiny!!

I know; when I jump him we always quite quickly end up with the fences going up as you don't realise how big you are jumping until you get off at the end and stand next to them :eek:

Brilliant - Vinnie is one of my favourite horses on HHO :D

Ah, thank you :) I think he is probably one of my favourites too ;)