Viral Infections? General Advice needed 4 veterans... Long post

_April_

Visit site
Hi,
I'm completely new to the forums and am just looking for some advice on a slight problem I had last week...

I've have a 20 year old horse on loan for about a year and a half.
When I first started riding her she was very soured, sick of life and really, really hated people. She used a variety of indimidation techniques to try and put me off, including bucking, napping, being a beast in the stableetc... her repetoire was quite impressive! I've managed to overcome all of this eventually and we have been having great fun together and she has turned into a really sweet little horse.

Last week however when I tried to school she just wasn't right, didn't want me on her back, very reluctant in walk and trot and trying to buck in canter. I was worried incase she had reverted to the previous years behaviour because she used to be very lazy, but gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave up straight away. Checked fully and there were no signs of lameness etc, plus her stable behaviour was normal. At that time I thought she had perhaps pulled a muscle or something but I wan't overly concerned.

I gave her a few days off and then tried very short hack around the block and then tried some schooling. She was totally fine doing both.

I was due to go to a show that weekend, and seeing that she seemed totally fine we went ahead. In the morning she was great and we actually won the stressage! woo! However by lunchtime she just seemed really, really tired. I tried our showjumping class and felt as though I was carrying her round myself (luckily was tiny).

Anyway I now think that perhaps she had caught some sort of viral infection or a cold or something and I wondered if there are any ways to spot this?
Also as she is now 20 is there anything I can do that will help her avoid them or perhaps shake them off quicker if she gets them?

thanks for taking the time to read this!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Absolutely agree with Boss - blood test. Costs next to nothing and will show any virus or aneamia etc.

She sounds very lucky to have found you.

mandy4727

Visit site
Agree, get the vet and have a blood test taken. It isn't that expensive. Maybe a slight infection of some blood cells. Which would be the reason she is lethargic!! I had this with one of mine a white blood cell infection. But also how is she fed? 20 is by no means old. I have one of 39 (retired) and only recently lost my 29 year old mare (was still competing) but maybe she needs a change of feed to what she is used to.

_April_

Visit site
Heya,

Thanks for the tips. Although she is completely back to normal now I think I will take your advice just incase.

I'm also going to use an additional supplement in her feed just to make sure she's getting everything she needs.

I know 20 isn't really that old lol, but every little helps I guess!