Viruses

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Another horse locally has been blood tested and come down with a virus. Is it the time of year/weather? Is it a Somerset thing or national? I now know 3 who have come down with it all riders said same thing horse was lathargic.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We are praying CCJ's new mare isn't contagious, as it's still doing the occasional cough..
It has also got urticaria lumps appearing but the seller showed us the same lumps on the other gelding she is selling, and reckoned the vet said it was the tail end of the virus causing it. She was whizzing bucking about the paddock this evening so not a lot wrong with her other than that I would say.
I think it's the time of year for virus' to appear, you know that saying we need a hard frost to kill off bugs? Well perhaps there's some truth in it.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I am wondering if it is worth buying a thermometer - can it be tracked by horse temp? I have HT on Sunday and Aldon next week and really do not want an off colour horse especially if they are only showing signs of being lathargic. My horse is very laid back at best of times!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We find taking a temp a good way of checking, but last week one horse was really quiet and lethargic so we took his temp over a few days. Absolutely normal!
Whatever it was went within two days and he is now fine again..
I think the best method is they actually look utterly depressed and miserable.
You know your horse best so can assess it when riding, if it feels lethargic, I would say something is brewing there.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
We find that spring and autumn are the time for viruses, the change in the weather catchs them out and knocks them about a bit.
Our first port of call is always a scope, will usually tell you a lot more than a blood where a virus is concerned.

sevenoceans

Visit site
I always have therometer in my box in case i find my horse off colour... When i was at racing yard we used to check them all every week and note it down so we know what is their average and always step in if it raises.

u should get one anyway, it is part of horse first aid...

miamibear

Visit site
My horse has just had a virus, i should have known something was brewing really because he went really lethargic on a hack before the cough and runny nose came.

He is lazy though so its hard to tell when its laziness and something more.

He has had this one for about 2 weeks now, its on its way out but did need antibiotics just to clear the tail end of it up.

Strange thing is after the mucus went he was still coughing but he was lively and full of energy eating loads and generally feeling well in himself.

That was why it was so annoying i couldnt ride because of the cough because in all other ways he was feeling well!!

Anyway hopefully its gone but more on our yard are getting it now, i think it will do the rounds before it leaves the yard!!

We are careful about not letting our horses touch others at shows, not many of us go out competing either really so not sure how it got Red but it did!
confused.gif

BBs

Visit site
Yep definitely the time of year!

Remember this time last year winston went down with a virus at Charlton Park - he jumped aweful in teh SJing and so i decided to withdraw and take him home before the XC.
Took his temp when I retuned and he had a very high temp
frown.gif
thats when he had his holiday.

He was back to normal within 4 days
smile.gif

I fed him Biotal with his food, rugged him up and shoved him out!

spaniel

Visit site
lec I know of another two, one of which has just had a liver biopsy and is now off for a month and on antibiotics as well....seems to be a lot of it about locally.

sunflower

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse has just had a virus, ...........He has had this one for about 2 weeks now, its on its way out but did need antibiotics just to clear the tail end of it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aargh - sorry but this is a real bugbear of mine - antibiotics are not used to treat viruses (or they shouldn't be). Antibiotics may be used to clear up a secondary bacterial infection but they do not work on viruses.

spaniel

Visit site
Just to point out that the horse mentioned in my previous post has contracted a specific infection secondary to the virus problem.

miamibear

Visit site
Thats the one i do appologise. My vet said Red has beaten off the virus but the cough was there so the antibiotics were being given to beat off the secondary bacteria infection which could cause problems for him later in life if left!

Sorry
grin.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My horse has just had a virus, ...........He has had this one for about 2 weeks now, its on its way out but did need antibiotics just to clear the tail end of it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aargh - sorry but this is a real bugbear of mine - antibiotics are not used to treat viruses (or they shouldn't be). Antibiotics may be used to clear up a secondary bacterial infection but they do not work on viruses.

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!
grin.gif
You are such a scientist!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

sunflower

Visit site
Sorry people - and yes I am a 'such a scientist' thanks L_S
tongue.gif
but this is a pet hate of mine.

*slinks back to join all the other science geeks in the corner*

grin.gif
grin.gif

miamibear

Visit site
It was my mistake, i didnt realise there was such a difference.

The vet didnt want to give anti b's unless absolutely necessary but the coughing was still going on after the mucus had gone so hence the anti b's.

grin.gif