Virus's and long term effects? (horses)

JaneMBE

Visit site
Has anyone here had a horse that had a virus which set them back a while?

One of mine caught a virus when a new livery who came earlier this year brought a virus with him.
At first, he had snotty nose and was a bit unwell, had time out to recover, (after vet saw him and gave meds etc) but his breathing has not been the same since .

He struggled in summer in the heat and was barely used, he had a long rest and was brought back in to work.

However, he is used scarcely, he has laboured breathing after a hack even when it is a plod. He seems like an old man rather than the 10 year old he is.

Seems to me that this virus he had has knocked his sox off
frown.gif
Rather like glandular fever does to us really.

So just wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem, how long it took before the horse picked up again?

My feeling is, he has to go away for about 6 months, grazing companion, no work, to pick up, else he will be knackered.
frown.gif

fizzer

Visit site
my friend had similar problem with her mare after moving to a yard and picked up a virus, her breathing was awful. she rang global herbs who sent her some powder and that seemed to help. the mare was not right for about 4 months then picked up

rosita

Visit site
Have had a couple pick up a nasty one this summer, very lack lustre and not happy, difficult to keep the weight on them, gave them time off and vi-sorbin, picked up after 3 month break, would probably get the breathing checked out again though as that sounds a little dodgy! Good luck and how annoying.

beaconhorse

Visit site
yes had similar problem went on for ages, then I fed Aloe Vera juice from holland an barratt and within 2 weeks he was amazingly better

elsielouise

Visit site
It depends on the strain of virus doesn't it. My mare and several others had a virus over the summer that was tested for all the common ones known but not found to be anything specific. Mine didn't suffer any respiratory problems and was back to normal within a week or so but another at the yard coughed and was out of regular work for about three months so hardly used.
Vet said to feed a 'blood tonic' or B vitamin and I fed echinecea (sp?) for several months after.
Will put herback on some soon too.

It's really annoying since there isn't a great deal you can do to hurry up improvements but although my mare was back in normal work soon I wouldn't rush any breathing related difficulties. Not worth it in the long term, particularly if coughing or laboured breathing after light exertion.

JaneMBE

Visit site
ooo might try aloe vera
smile.gif

weight isn't a problem, he is heavy cob and on good grass.

Yeh, the breathing is a problem, he was on ventapulmin, then we had some herbal stuff to put in his feed.

Will try and do without him for a while and let him chill. Hope he does pick up he is a good horse
crazy.gif

fjudge

Visit site
uuuhhhh ohhhh
frown.gif
lets hope its not what my friends young connemara got....he has been off for a year!!! Sorry...wasnt meant to make you feel bad! But william went down to her sisters house and has been there a good 5 months and he is 100% fine now...infact he is a cazy monster that is so full of himself!!

I can send you in the direction of the person whos pony this was if you like???...she put him on some herbal thing and he went from the state he was in for weeks, to progressing week by week.