Vitamin/Balancer/Food for laminitics

gingerarab

Visit site
I have 3 ponies all prone to laminitus who are in during the day and out at night with poor haylage on a paddock with zero grass. One of the shetlands is 41 yrs old and the other two are late teens.

What would you suggest to feed to make sure they get their daily quota of vitamins and minerals without any weight gain ?

fuzz

Visit site
Both of mine are fatties, and are the type that would be prone to laminitus but (touch wood) have never had it. They are both fed top spec balancer lite and are actually losing weight (along with other careful feeding). I would really recommend it, there both doing really well. I would phone one of their nutritional experts as they have a separate balancer for fatties, laminitics and veterans so they would be able to give you the advice on what would work best for your ponies.

Hope this helps

Jericho

Visit site
I feed mine Top Spec Anti lam - seems very comprehensive and they look good on it on very sparse grazing, a few slices of hay / straw mixed together and a handful of TopSpec top chop lite

noblesteed

Visit site
Dodson and Horrell Equibites. Brilliant little bite-sized vit/min treats providing all necessary vitamins. Mine gets 6 of them a day and a carrot at teatime. I tried a balancer but it caused weight gain - mine gets fat on thin air.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Formula for feet or equivite supplements with a bit of soaked unmolassed sugar beet or some happy hoof just enough to hide their supplements ! wow 41 thats brilliant

unbalanced

Visit site
My mare is 21 and in medium work (dressage, parelli, hacking and jumping). She lives out on a starvation paddock and her weight is good or maybe even a little too light, I certainly wouldn't like her to lose any more.

I feed two cups of Blue Chip Lami Lite daily and she looks fantastic - shiny coat, bright eyes, trainable temperament and her feet are really improving from the bout she had last year which the farrier seems pleased with. She also gets speedi-beet because I don't want any more weight loss but am too scared to put her out onto our lush grazing.

LouS

Visit site
Fed Blue Chip Lami Lite for years and do recommend it, however Ive just switched to Formula 4 Feet to see if it helps his hooves which has been highly recommended to me.

Marley&Me

Visit site
If they are not working...Marksway Horseage HIGH FIBRE haylage or ad lib soaked hay.

1 cup of kwikbeet or speedibeet (soaked as per sack) Yea Sacc, cal-mag, charcoal (happy tummy).

If they need condition add Pink powder.

If they are working and need more energy add micronised linseed (10g per 100kg) per day, could also add oil.

Basically NOTHING with sugar and starch in it....and as much fibre as you can get into them (NOT UNSOAKED HAY OR RICH HAYLAGE)

Just as important in lami horses as getting diet right, is getting exercise right.

If they are sound get the moving. 30 mins per day of walking (upwards) will really help keep the weight down and lami at bay.

If they are not sound, get them sound through diet first then increase exercise.

hgm5

Visit site
Top Spec Anti-lam without a doubt. Was the best decision I made for my old welsh A who was very prone to laminitis. He looked great on very little!

gingerarab

Visit site
Non of them are working, its the 41 yr old shetland that I would like to see more weight on but I am terrified of the laminitus because it would probably finish her off.

Interesting to see what other people feed and that top spec crops up a lot. I feed this to my horses in work and they look great on it.

nemo_

Visit site
My connemara's on Spillers Lite, he looks fab and it's much cheaper than a lot of other balancers!