Volunteering

Velcrobum

Visit site
I write for dressage to further my own education.

I keep tossing around the idea of starting judge training for the same reason.
So it's for me, really ??
I did start Judge training as a result of writing and I enjoyed it tremendously but I have currently given up as while I seem to get the marking spot on I find it very difficult to adhere to the increasingly PC demands about the comments. I am also very uncomfortable about having sheets posted on social media to be rubbished about my judging.

teapot

Visit site
I volunteered at a riding school when I was younger. Like for all kids who don’t have their own horse, it was the only way to get ‘proper’ horse experience. Ended up volunteering for the RDA for a bit by default as riding school started doing RDA lessons and thought it’d look good on a CV.

Don’t think I’d volunteer for an RDA group again as don’t enjoy it much and wouldn’t see a reason to unless I got some free rides which most places don’t do.

I’ve stewarded a couple times at small shows - that’s just because I love being surrounded by strange horses and getting to watch them thinking how would I handle that horse if I was riding. Also to build up a more horsey network. Definitely don’t do it to ‘give back’ as no horse means I’ve never ‘taken’. But wouldn’t want to see those shows shut.

Would like to be a dressage writer or fence judge a couple times to satiate my curiosity but there’s rarely a position available round here, given how few ECs there are.

RDA actually offers a lot of training you won't/cant get elsewhere though - first aid, safeguarding, sign language/Makaton training, one of the regional conferences I went to had some fantastic interactive biomechanics sessions one year. Their coaching pathway can also get you direct entry into some BHS exams if you were that way inclined.

I learnt so much from RDA that I used in my work life :)

piebaldproblems

Visit site
RDA actually offers a lot of training you won't/cant get elsewhere though - first aid, safeguarding, sign language/Makaton training, one of the regional conferences I went to had some fantastic interactive biomechanics sessions one year. Their coaching pathway can also get you direct entry into some BHS exams if you were that way inclined.
None of that was ever offered where I was so maybe I just got unlucky with the yard. Your post makes me think I should consider trying again though :)

Carlosmum

Visit site
I volunteer for horse shows as a judge or steward, occasionally at BE events, our local unaffiliated ODEs and at Blenheim HT. I do it mostly to put something back into the system so I can compete when I want to. It gives me a day out away from the stresses of a busy farm and MIL! and I usually learn something!

Asha

Visit site
We do a bit of fence judging at local BE events. We do it, because we enjoy it, and love being part of something. They are very long and tiring days, but we get well fed/watered and theres always a few riders that thank you as they walk the course which is lovely. Its a nice bonus to get a voucher the farm rides too.

sam_m

Visit site
Pre child I used to volunteer as it was a way of keeping in with Equestrianism when my horse was retired. The freebies were a nice bonus but certainly not my why. I would have gone back post child but the longer days made it more difficult and as he got older he wasn't interested in horses, but now hes of an age I can start leaving him home alone I might look to getting back into it.

Post child I used to volunteer as a qualified archery coach for the my local club, wasn't ever offered so much as a cup of tea or money towards new outdoor jackets. I never even got so much as a thank you at the AGM from them. Needless to say I gave it up a 2019.

fetlock

Visit site
Each year I think about volunteering to fence judge at my local horse trials, but never motivate myself to do it.
One thing I was wondering though - and this, stemming from being a lady of a certain age who - when I have to go, I have to go - what do you do when fence judging and you need the loo?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
At the events I do solo you can call for a comfort break and somebody will come to take over while you leg it to the loo. If you are judging with a friend it’s not a problem as one of you can go off for a few minutes and there are always natural lulls in between classes when you can go.

Lammy

Visit site
I started fence judging this year and cajoled some friends into doing it with me and we have all really enjoyed it. Some places we just got lunch and a bottle of wine which was no use to me really as I’m gluten free so bring my own lunch and I don’t drink wine but I just enjoyed the day out. At another place we both got a voucher to use the xc or arena xc and as the venue is only 40 minutes away we’ll definitely be using that. And to be fair it will encourage us to go back there to volunteer next year.

A free voucher isn’t why we started doing it but it is a nice touch especially after such a long day that fence judging can be.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I've no experience but want to be a volunteer so what can I do for that? what is the procedure actually there to be a volunteer?

It depends on what you actually want to do. Help at a show - contact the secretary and offer to help, as a beginner you could ask to do it with someone more experienced. For RDA just contact the local branch. For fence judging you need a bit more experience, but again, ask to do it with someone more experienced. (I used to do quite a bit of fence judging for Pony Club and Riding Club and then I attended a course for British Eventing fence judges and it completely put me off, so I don't even know if they run those courses any more).

Even helping with taking entries at a show, or with adding up marks, being a runner between rings - anything and everything.

Again,for dressage writing you would need to have some idea what the judge is going on about and learn how to spell rhythm! With some dressage judges you do have a little time to look at each competitor, with others they are saying so much you don't have time to look up from the score sheet" But if you are interested in dressage then being a writer is absolutely 100% recommended. You will learn so much.

Boulty

Visit site
So I volunteer my time at TREC events I can't compete at partly for the social side (there's a lot of people I only see at competitions) & also to help make sure that there ARE competitions to attend as it's rather a niche discipline! The free food & usually stunning locations help too! I'm really not arsed about getting any money back / money off entries or anything like that but can see how some people might be swayed by that.

I'm also on the committee of the local club as I got my arm twisted & now I don't seem able to escape as I'm in charge of (badly) managing the website etc. I guess I'm there to try & help make sure the club carries on existing & running events for the members to enjoy.

I'd love to become qualified to be more involved in the organising at some point in the future to help ease everyone else's workload a bit.