Wahooo first ride on new horse

Kelly1982

Visit site
My saddle arrived yesterday so i went straight home after work before going to the stables to collect it so i could ride my new horse for the first time
grin.gif

She was very well behaved considering she hasn't been ridden in over 2 weeks but she was a lot more babyish than i remember, not that i mind though as 2 weeks of not being ridden for a baby is like a lifetime so probably gone back a few steps but thats not a problem.

She is REALLY stiff on one rein though so any ideas to help get her supple will be greatly appreciated
grin.gif

I was chuffed to bits with her though and am so happy that i can finally ride!!!! No stopping me now he he

Sorry for the self indulgent post but i am very happy

Liz_Clark

Visit site
ahh - nice one!!

Its so nice when it all comes together like that - you remember why you have a horse then!! makes up for all the mud, poo, tears sweat and blood!!

Do you have piccies?

Parkranger

Visit site
Hi!

I know how it feels to have that 'first ride' - well done!

I can't recommend enough that you get a physio out and give her the once over. When I first got Ty he was working solely on the forehand, had a very stiff neck and was so close on the back end it was shocking.

Now he's enjoying being ridden, only brushes a little (although he'll obviously always be close on the back) and is starting to bend nicely.......I think it's a good idea to 'wipe the slate clean' so she can really work for you.

Well done again though xxxxx

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ha ha no piccies yet as i didn't have anyone to take them for me last night
frown.gif

As soon as i do though you lot will be the first to see them
smile.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
It's brilliant new that it's turning out so well for you!!!!!!
smile.gif

I've been told by my physio that's it's illegal for the owner to allow anyone to give treatment to their horse without agreement of the vet?! Is this not the case?
confused.gif

I_A_P

Visit site
Baileydoo-thats what i heard as well, but i thought it was ore to do with making sure the horse hasnt had any specific problems before they do anything.

miamibear

Visit site
So pleased for you, didnt realise you had got one, what is she like? Height, colour, age etc

Regarding the stifness on one rein i would do a little more work on that rein but only start on that rein and finish on it.

Lots of bending and turns, surpentines and leg yield, turn on forehand should help.

With her being a baby i wouldnt worry too much, it will come just take it steady and give her time.

I really am over the moon for you hun
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Your physio has to ask permission from the vet to treat your horse. It acts as a safeguard for rouge traders!

If you get a local physio the odds are that your vet will know them anyway and it's just an informal phonecall.....

Kelly1982

Visit site
Hi ya Mel

I have had her about 2 weeks now, didn't really post much on here at first as i didn't wanna jinx myself ha ha

She is a 16.2 (but we think she is bigger and is still croup high
crazy.gif
) Han x TB 4yo chestnut mare (more liver chestnut though) and she has no white markings on her at all. She has already been to one show and jumped BN clear and has been professionally schooled which is handy for me
grin.gif

Haven't ridden her in all the time i had her though as i haven't had a saddle
mad.gif

The pics in my signature are of her
smile.gif

Hows things going with your new boy??

Kelly1982

Visit site
When i had the Bowen lady out she said that she had to tell me to inform my vet but if i did or not that was down to me but she still had to advise it.

miamibear

Visit site
Shes lovely!!!!

Sounds as if it could be a match made in heaven!! I hope it all works out for you, keep us updated!

Red is going really well, except he has a big crack in his hoof, farrier cant come for a week and half. It seems to be spreading and im panicing big style. Just going to keep him going over that time, no hard work and as much time off as i can give him whilst still ticking over.

Think i am going to attempt a prelim dressage test in Sept, providing i can get his canter a bit better.

He seems perfect but like you i dont want to jinx things!
smirk.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Sounds like we have both had a bit of luck them finally!!! I have been reading your posts and keeping up to date with your progress
smile.gif

How frustrating about Red's hoof though but i'm sure if the farrier was worried about it he would try and get out sooner so try not to panic too much!! Isn't there anything you could put on it to try and stop it??

Good luck for the dressage test in Sept, you will have to let us know how you get on
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Putting keratex on it every day for now to help.

Going to get some kevin Bacon after the keratex has gone, it seems popular!

Papping my pants about dressage but i have to do it sooner rather than later!
crazy.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ha ha i am cr*pping myself about my first show too and i haven't even got one in mind yet!!! Think i am getting a bit ahead of myself
crazy.gif

I have heard that Kevin Bacon is good but it needs to be used everyday to see the full effect according to my farrier, i have never used it though so cant comment