Walk & Trot test

Natalie_H

Visit site
My TB & I are doing our first ever walk & trot test in a couple of weeks. I am obviously petrified as we have never done one before & am torturing myself with all the awful things that will probably happen as a result of my nerves & his volatile temperament! I am prepared for the worst, but would be interested to hear about your bad / amusing experiences in the arena - just to make me feel like I am not alone!!!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
You are definately not alone!
the first walk and trot test I did with my youngster I got 30%!!!!!
It was his first time out and it was in a very spooky indoor school, first of all he had to be led in to the arena then he stood on the spot spinning round and even reared up! Eventually I got him moving but he wouldn't go down one side of the arena, I totally forgot the test and ended up just trotting him round and round, mostly sideways. Funnily enough I didn't come last, someone else got eliminated!
My whole family had come to watch too
blush.gif

He did redeem himself the next time out tho, he won a Riding Horse Class
grin.gif

I'm sure you'll be fine, let me know what happens.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear - that is hilarious! - brought tears to my eyes! We are going to be in an indoor school too! We went to check it out & I was helpfully told that they put flowers in with the white boards to make it look pretty - great - he will either be scared of them or try to eat them! I will let you know what happens!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Why think about the things that might happen? It might, and probably, will not. Focus on doing the things you do well at home. The fact you are somewhere else is just geography.
Have a practice at home and remember the feeling you get when trotting round relaxed and happy and just aim for that. Dont expect anything different than when you are just happily riding round your arena.
First time nerves are expected, but if you focus on riding a nice walk and trot instead of a perfect one that you think the judges are looking for, they are not by the way, then you will stay relaxed and enjoy the experienced.
I have been bucked, rushed and skitted out of the arena, mainly because I was trying too hard. I have concluded that by just enjoying it the horse does not feel pressured nor do I and we have a better time.
Hope this helps
Dawn

Natalie_H

Visit site
You are so right - it is just keeping the nerves under control as I know he will pick up on them. I am aiming on just getting round in as relaxed a fashion as possible. I am also concentrating on the fact that I am doing this to get he & I the experience, not to ride a perfect test!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Aw, well I think you will both just do fine. You are obviously going out for a bit of expereince and a bit of fun, what the worse that can happen, he eats the flower display? teehee.
You could always hum your favorite tune while trotting round, this will take the focus off of what is going on around you. and help you breath. another tip is to think about his pace and how long it takes you to do a few transitions and movements in real time, ie, hum a tune to his pace, then when you are in the arena and you hum the same tune it will keep you in real time and not make you think you are riding too fast or too slow, if that makes sense.
A lot of riders learn a test by practising it as they read it, which usually takes 3 seconds, when you ride the test it should take 3 minutes, but because they have learnt it in 3 seconds when they ride it it seems to be going too slow and so they push the horse forward, this puts the horse off and introduces something different to the normal riding routine, causing tension and resistence.
I am sure you will be fine. Remember to breath!!
best wishes
Dawn
Best of luck
Dawn

Natalie_H

Visit site
Hi Dawn - Thanks for all the great tips! The humming is a great idea - Also, maybe if I hum a tune he will tune into me - rather than all that's going on around him - on the other hand - with my lack of musical prowess he may tune out & look around for something to distract him from it! Thanks for the best wishes & good luck - I will let you know how we get on (or off!!)

jacks_mum

Visit site
In our first test my Jack took extreme exception to one of the white boards. As we came up to it he leapt sideways onto it and just jumped up and down on it several times. Totally smashed it up!! I was very embarassed but everyone else thought it was hilarious.

Good luck I'm sure it will be fine.

sorona

Visit site
When my daughter did her first test on her 4yr old, he was still a bit unbalanced at times and often took the wrong canter lead on one rein. Everything was going really well, he was behaving beautifully and then time for the first canter; he struck off, slipped on the wet grass and landed on his backside, after resting for a moment, he got to his feet and continued. The test sheet read 'wrong canter lead taken'!! I take it they had noticed!!!
Enjoy it and have fun. I really should do more on my boy but I cant think of anything worse than my faults all being written down on paper, eek!

Parkranger

Visit site
Yours is a month before mine!

We were going to do a canter test but he just keeps striking off wrongly - we're working to correct it but I think one step at a time!

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">It's all about relaxing and having a laugh when you first start out!

My first W&amp;T my pony was knackered from them making us walk round for about an hour in prettiest mare so I was pony club kicking to get her to move with no avail, a footbally hit the fence next to us and she spooked and I nearly fell off. In our first prelim we trod on a white marker, flipped it over then trod on it again and also cantered/gallop around the middle out of control for a bit! </span>

Natalie_H

Visit site
You must let me know how you get on - my horse can't do trot to canter. He can do walk to canter &amp; stand to canter, but not trot! One step at a time is right - Good Luck!

Natalie_H

Visit site
Thanks to all who have posted with their stories! I look forward to adding my own in a couple of weeks - It is very heartening to know that on the day, even if everyone else is perfect except for us, there are all of you who have been through it!!!

Natalie_H

Visit site
You should have a go! My Mum is doing her first one ever on the same day on her TB &amp; is scared stiff - but wants to do it just for the experience! I'm sure they will have plently to say about my technique!!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Funnily enough, he wasn't scared of the white boards at all! It was all the advertising banners around the arena that freaked him out, he really took exception to the yellow and black foxhunting one with the shape of a fox on it! Anyone that's been to Golden Cross will know what I mean
smile.gif

Hopefully where you're going is a bit less 'colourful'
grin.gif