Wannabe hunter - advice please

horsegirl

Visit site
Hi,

I have recently taken up riding again and bought a horse, I have always been interested in hunting. Any advice on hoe to get started, I am in Surrey?

MisterMole

Visit site
Hunters: a challenge!

Try to reply to this post without using:

"MFHA website"
"hunt secretary"
"give them a bell"
"good luck and tell us how you got on"

Honeybee

photobucket.com
Ring and find out were the hunt is get horse nice and fit and take a hip flask, always works for me!!
Do you know anyone else that will be there??

What’s the new horse like has she/he hunted b4?
xx :grin:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
"MFHA website"
"hunt secretary"
"give them a bell"

To be honest, you could do a lot worse than check out the site, find your local hunt, ring the Secretary to find out the form (each hunt is different) and then let us know how you got on! There are far more helpful people on here, they'll be answering you soon, no doubt but good luck anyway, hope you have fun.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Visit the Internet Portal of the governing body for Fox Hound packs (www.mfha.co.uk), look up the details of the hunt nearest to you, get in touch with the administration assistant of the hunt in question. You may need to obtain a copy of Baily's for uptodate information.

Good fortune for your venture and be sure to return here to recount your experiences...

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Or in other words visit www.mfha.co.uk, look up the pack which is closest to you geographically, find the details of the secretary, give him/her a bell, find out how to get involved as a newbie. Go out, have fun, stay involved in hunting...and live happily ever after.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
I'm sure you'll both be fine. Sounds like an ideal mount. I have a feeling that there are some other users who hunt in Surrey..but mainly the Surrey Union I think.

Most hunts will assign a 'babysitter' for your first few days who will be able to show you the ropes, gaps around nasty jumps and generally ensure that you don't have a terrible time and don't do anything to upset anyone else!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Hunters: a challenge!

Try to reply to this post without using:

"MFHA website"
"hunt secretary"
"give them a bell"

Accepted.

If you're in Surrey, you may be with the Surrey Union - read horse and hound for SU meets. They're central surrey, but there are other packs to the edges of the county who can also be found in horse and hound.

I used to hunt with them, very friendly bunch, can actually be emailled instead of "belled" and the food is pretty good too :D

Clodagh

Visit site
Seeing your post about no useful advice, I think the trouble is the trolls are so rampant in here now that lots of people (me included) aren't bothering to come on any more.
Shame.
Still, hope you have a great time, and try to find a first meet you can hack to or unbox 10 minutes away, to get the tickle out of his toes! :)

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you for the advice everyone, I like Horsegirl am new to the hunting scene but plan to follow Surrey Union as much as possible over the coming season.

Horsegirl - I am also taking an ex-racehorse! Not sure he will cope with it but I may just adopt the 'shut your eyes and kick' style of riding to get us home safely!

Maybe I will see you there.