wanting to loan out my show jumper...(questions)...

show_jumper

Visit site
hi everyone....

i want to loan out one of my show jumpers as i cant afford to have as many as i do at the moment but i dont want to sell him as, although he can be a little quirky, he's got a talented pop in him....so figure loaning is the way to go....
but i have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could answer them for me....

1. he is insured...so will i have to notify my insurance company that he is being moved to another yard and cared for by other people - or do i have to move the insurance policy into thier (potential loaners) name, or do they have to take a new policy out on him - as i want him to continue to be covered (obviously)

2. he can be a little quirky - in as much as he is grumpy in his stable and did bite me once (only once when i did his girth up and wasn't paying attention - and only once in over a year!)...so would i need this to be put in writing so they were aware of it?

3. other than the usual...who owns him, terms of the loan, and rights to withdraw the loan...what things would you advise are put into a contract for both parties to sign??

thanks.....

sea_view

Visit site
I'd say - check out the insurance side with your current insurance company, I'd probably make sure potential loanees knew he can sometimes be a bit smart and to be aware when they are around them and finally yes, everything should be written in contract form - lets everyone know where they stand.

X

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
The BHS website has a good example of a loan contract on, worth taking a look at. That's the template I used for my horse's contract when I put him out on loan.

RE. insurance. I chose to keep the policy on myself, in my name, and the loaners reimburse me for it. There is a clause in the policy that states they pay the excess in the event of a claim. I notified my insurance company that he was going out on loan and they just wanted to know where he was being kept and the name of the loaners. Otherwise, they weren't really bothered as the policy was staying in my name. I had a mare on loan myself last year whose owner did the same - I paid her back every month and she kept her policy on. Current loan horse wasn't insured so I have taken out a new policy for him, in my name, and I just had to tell my insurers who is owner is. My insurers actually said they weren't bothered about where the horse was being kept as long as my home address hadn't changed.

Personally I wouldn't put anything in the contract about him being grumpy in the stable. My new lad is incredibly grumpy in the stable; the owners warned me about it but it's not in writing. The contract for my Welshy who I put out on loan states any special requirements for managing him (he had a respiratory problem so that went in there etc).

I also put in all items of tack I was sending with him and a clause stating they would have to replace any broken items with something of at equal quality and value. I have a clause about who is responsible for what - teeth, vaccs, shoes, vet bills, insurance. Also a clause saying what they can use him for, that they can't move yards without my written permission, that sort of thing.

Brin

New User
Visit site
Hi , Im currently looking for a showjumper for my daughter , she has a lot of experience jumping BSJA , PRIVATE MESSAGE ME if your intrested....Many Thanks

4drydea

New User
Visit site
Hey,
We are currently looking for a new horse for a long term loan, He/she must be under 16.1 hh and over 14.3 hh
insurance will be covered for us as we already have a policy in place for our 3 and a half year old horse that we bred ourselves.
Just wondering, could you possibly personal message with me some details on said showjumper as my 16 year old daughter has been selected to ride at Royal Windsor Horse show and needs a horse. Furthermore, She does Cross-country with her school team so she needs a good jumper! Whilst she is away at school, i will ride the horses and we look after them just as they are a member of the family...my partner doesn't even get priority over them!
The reason why we are searching is due to my daughters horse being retired due to tendon injury.
Anyway, Please Reply Soon!

SpottedCat

Visit site
If he's a SJer with a recent comp record which is half way decent then you shouldn't need to advertise him, and if you advertise him expect every numpty idiot under the sun who thinks they/their daughter/their cousins dogsitters aunt who once sat on a horse is the next Ellen Whitaker to phone up and for you to spend forever sifting through these to find the one person who can ride well enough!

I needed to loan my Novice event horse out for six months - I told a few people who told their trainers etc etc and I was put in touch with someone who is a groom for someone who was longlisted for the Olympic event team. She came and tried him, horse was never advertised and I know she trains with someone whose style and approach I like as I have trained with her boss too.

Hey presto, one loaned out horse, no adverts for me, no phonecalls from people and me being happy he is in a good home whilst I am on the other side of the world.

So just tell your trainer and all your friends on the circuit that you are looking to loan him out and see where you go from there, if he's a good enough horse I can't see you having any problem loaning him out through word of mouth.

I did a ridiculously detailed contract, put in who pays for what and when, an inventory of everything which went with him, the condition it was in and the value of anything. I had to send my insurers a copy of the loan contract and I also wrote to them and the vets saying she was authorised to do any treatment/make any claims but not authorised to cancel the policy etc.

show_jumper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if you advertise him expect every numpty idiot under the sun who thinks they/their daughter/their cousins dogsitters aunt who once sat on a horse is the next Ellen Whitaker to phone up

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my god that is so funny and so true it made us laugh outrageously!!!!!

thanks for the advise everyone!!

chestnutcob

Visit site
I would say be very careful who you loan him too. My own personal experience of loaning was not a good one. Yes they looked after my horse but my god did he turn into a monster. He went from a sane sensible bold horse into a nappy, aggressive monster. In the end I took him back the day I did he went to bite me, I decided that if I loaned another horse it would stay on my yard so I could keep an eye on things.
You say your horse is quirky, I would definately get this in writing and make sure they sign it. Put down warts an all so that should he do something that you know he is capable of they can't turn round and say they didn't know.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm with SC, if he's good then you shouldn't need to advertise him. I advertised my Welshy and got all sorts of nightmare people calling up. I said that he wasn't a novice ride and needed a confident older teenager or small adult. I got people calling up saying they wanted him to teach their 10yo to ride, some saying they'd cantered twice at their RS and wanted a pony...all because he's 14.2hh.

I've got my new lad on loan, and I had an ex-SJ mare on loan before that, both of whom I found through word of mouth. Just put the word out to a few people and it will spread quickly.

I can only talk about my personal experiences but my loaners are fantastic and I really couldn't ask for anyone better. You will know when you speak to people whether they're likely to be right for your boy. I was completely anal about it, checked out their yard, have copies of their photocard driving licences as proof of ID, all sorts of things. I've always felt my loaners were completely honest and open in everything, so I feel my boy is safe. There are good loaners out there, despite the horror stories.