War Horse - I liked It!

jaquelin

Visit site
Just saw it yesterday - I delayed due to mixed reviews & I thought it would be upsetting. I actually enjoyed it - taking it for what it is, mainstream, family film and sort of cliched, but what you would expect. I found Joey's escape from the Germans really thrilling and excellent cinema. There were a few clangers, the lush loam soil exposed after ploughing in the poor Devon field (!?); the rather ridiculous scene where they were going to shoot Joey in the middle of a field hospital. But I found a lot of it "true" in terms of horse behaviour and I thought they used the way horses communicate and respond pretty accurately - there were no Mr Ed moments ( well, maybe the bit where he shows Conqueror the pulling neckpiece is ok was a bit of a stretch). Note the way Joey communicated is uninterest in jumping - I've known a fair few do exactly that! Agree? Disagree?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I enjoyed it. I do think Spielberg has lost it a bit though, TinTin was awful and this was so clogged with sentimental rubbish... The book is genuinely sad without being OTT.

The bit with the big rock in the field, that was awful, why that was deemed a good idea I do not know! And I felt there was way too much rearing and dancing about... BUT the overall story was still good and I enjoyed seeing more of the humans side. Very sad.

Enjoyed it, would recommend it but won't be buying the DVD!

Also, from what I hear I'm glad I've not seen the stage show yet, the film would have been a crushing disappointment after that!

The-mad-cat-lady

Visit site
For me it was the biggest load of rubbish I've ever seen! The fact that some of the 'Joey's' had white bits and other's didn't was an epic fail, and so was the part where he charges through barbed wire and escapes fairly unscathed, Myself and friends left the film shortly after this part.

You dont seem to like anything very much though...

MrsHutt

Visit site
Well, I enjoyed it for what it was - a rather Hollywood version of a children's book. A good story about the first world war, which I think very suitable for children - not too graphic, but paints a picture of the horror of that war in a way they would understand.

I am afraid I saw the stage production first (twice, actually!). I found that far more affecting and moving. That I would definitely recommend. :D