Warm tough wellies? Under £100

rachyblue

Visit site
Hello all!

Please can I have recommendations for some nice and warm, but tough wellies.

I have bought Joules in the past as they fit well and are comfy to wear all day, but they usually don't last very long, so no more.

Had Ariat Mudbuster and they split very early on, despite me not wearing them that much because they rubbed my shins.

Tried Just Togs Mudster (or something like that name), leaked within a week, returned. Shame as these were both comfy and warm.

Tried Caldene Westfield, again comfy underfoot, but slightly too narrow in the leg. I don't have mega calves but they are muscly.

Like the look of the Aigle but can't bring myself to spend £100+ on wellies, that I only wear when it's very muddy, prefer to wear shorter boots.

I have Woof short boots which are both warm and tough, but there is just too much mud in the fields at the moment to make them practical.

Any ideas?

WelshD

Visit site
Muckboots? I have had two pairs, one pair lasted 3 years of daily wearing and the other pair are now two years old with no signs of real wear yet

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm liking my Just Togs mudrucker riding boots. They are warm and comfortable, but they do come up slightly small so I would order a size larger.

Just seen you may have tried these? I've had mine two months in all kinds of wet conditions and deep mud and puddles. No leaking yet.

Last edited:

RoughcutDiamond

Visit site
Another vote for muckboots - mine are well into their third year of daily wear - have begun to crack but as long as I don't stand in water for prolonged periods still don't seem to leak. No chilblains since having them - worth the money just for that!

p87

Visit site
I have these and love them, best pair I've ever had. I could get away with just one pair of socks but wear two as they are a bit big

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-BUY-...uestrian_Clothing_MJ&var=&hash=item2ebdd18273

I also have a set of plug in boot warmers, they take one hour to warm boots up and three hours to fully dry them out, best invention EVER!

ETA: I've had these boots for around three years and they are still perfect, been stood on by a horse and didn't even notice lol they are so sturdy yet easy to walk in

turkana

Visit site
I bought some great fur lined wellies from a fishing shop, I've had them for several years, they were less than £100, I will definately get another pair.
If there is a fishing shop near you I might be worth giving them a try, horsey stuff tends to be overpriced, so you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for your money

lizness

Visit site
I like my Toggi's neoprene lined. They have split because I have been naughty by riding in them... but they are still waterproof (because of the neoprene maybe?). They did make my MIL fall over though, which is why I have them

Sunshine

Visit site
I have the Seeland allround neoprene ones. They are comfy and warm with a decent sole for grip in the mud. Because my legs aren't the slimmest I was worried about ordering online but they are wide enough for jeans to be tucked in and I got the really tall ones so they come almost up to my knees as I hate wellies finishing mid calf

AmieeT

Visit site
Have had my wellies for over a year now and they're as good as new. They are neoprene lined so toasty and fit well on the ankles!
And they were only £30 by Sherwood Forest. The first pair I had broke in a month and they replaced them under guarantee :)

leflynn

Visit site
Hunter balmoral neoprene or bamboo lined, most people will say steer clear but I've had mine for 3 years and only now are they starting to wear on the sole and I wear them almost everyday in bad weather. I would buy another pair as they have been fab and you can usually find them reduced to under £100. Failing that I would be tempted fo rhtese (but haven't tried them yet as don't need to) as they are meant to be made by the people who used to make hunters in scotland..
http://www.uttings.co.uk/c485-wellington-boots/brand=century/

Merrymoles

Visit site
Muck Boots Chore for me too - great grip even when it's greasy or icy and warm feet! Worth a bit of extra weight for the stability and they are robust enough to save my toes when friend's silly mare spooks on to them.

rachyblue

Visit site
Thanks for all these, bit cautious about the muckboots as they do ones that are very similar to the Just Togs ones I bought first. Interestingly after returning them I found a bit of paper in the boot of my car showing that you're not supposed to wet them? How does that work?

Annagain

Visit site
Although I understand your reluctance to spend £100+ on wellies, I really can't recommend the Aigles enough. I tried a load of makes (many of them not much cheaper) and they all fell apart on me within 6 months. My Aigles are now 2 years old and still look like new (well apart from the mud!). They are warm (I've got the neoprene lined ones) comfy, tough and have good grips on the soles. I got mine for about £70 in a sale as they were the previous year's version so you might find a bargain. They are well worth the extra. So far they've lasted four times as long as the best of the others and they weren't four times as expensive so I think they're worth every penny. They look like they will hopefully last at least twice as long again. My YO has a pair that are nearly 7 years old and she is still wearing them everyday with no problems.

Twizzel

Visit site
Hunter Lady Balmoral boots, had mine for a year and worn every day, lasting really well. I had a pair of muckboots before, the soles went smooth within 12 months, total waste of money.

khalswitz

Visit site
Forget wellies... get rigger boots like these :D :

http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/ambl...e-caps-&-midsole-amblers-riggers-p-90961.html

They are leather, not rubber, so don't crack but are totally waterproof. They have the extra thick sole to help insulate, are treated to survive acid and alkali (great for mucking out), have steel toes and heels that you can barely feel, and are fluffy, sheep type stuff inside like Ugg boots so super cosy, and a drawstring top to stop water going in the tops - fab! Only cost me £50 when I bought them, lasted well over a year with daily wear so far and I've never even bothered cleaning them... I don't need thermal socks any more either!

I was finding the horsy/country designed wellies just too expensive, and was going through so many pairs of wells it was ridiculous - these have been brilliant. I wear them for work as well as going up to the yard, so get a lot of wear - and get so many complements on them too. PLUS they seem to have amazing grip on the ice compared with regular wellies...

mytwofriends

Visit site
Another vote for Muck Boots. I have two pairs, one for chores (Tays, Tynes??? Who knows, but they're green and have had two years of heavy use with no problem) which have steel toes, achilles protectors etc., and a pair of Colt Ryders which are for riding, being taller and more fitted. I find them both incredibly warm and very comfortable. Also not prohibitively expensive at between £75-£85.

Hoofing-it

Visit site
For what it's worth, I had Joules and Hunters for years and have gotten totally sick of paying over £70 for wellies that really don't last, so the latest addition to my wardrobe is..... Some gold glittery wellies from the kids section of tescos with a nice thick pair of socks. Not the ideal solution, but on week two and lasting better than some of the top brands..... And were £6 in the sale :)

Last edited:

Joanne4584

Visit site
For what it's worth, I had Joules and Hunters for years and have gotten totally sick of paying over £70 for wellies that really don't last, so the latest addition to my wardrobe is..... Some gold glittery wellies from the kids section of tescos with a nice thick pair of socks. Not the ideal solution, but on week two and lasting better than some of the top brands..... And were £6 in the sale :)

I got my Hunters in November 2012 and now they have too many holes and splits in to be any good in this weather. I am very disappointed because my last pair of Hunters lasted 7 years. I am heading into town this afternoon to try and get some cheap wellies. I cannot afford an expensive horsey pair at the mo so it's going to be an Asda job I think!

zandp

Visit site

I'm the same, I've been using Kids Matalan wellies - pink with white stars on them - since November last year when my Grasmere's died. They were about £7 full price and still haven't split, to my surprise !

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I got my Hunters in November 2012 and now they have too many holes and splits in to be any good in this weather. I am very disappointed because my last pair of Hunters lasted 7 years. I am heading into town this afternoon to try and get some cheap wellies. I cannot afford an expensive horsey pair at the mo so it's going to be an Asda job I think!

That's because Hunters are now made in China and not in Scotland as they were when you got your good pair. Nothing more than Chinese mass produced tat. The origional company who made the good Hunters are now called 'Century' and you can find them here: http://www.centuryboots.com/ Still only £50 and the best quality welly you can get :)