Warmblood x with what?

Aidey

Visit site
I plan to eventually breed from my mare, to keep the foal for my next horse.
She is a Belgian Warmblood and also has blanket spot colouring. I have always just thought I would put her back to another WB/Hanoverian/Westphalian/Holsteiner stallion but just out of interest (and reading an interesting thread the other day) I have been wondering about breeding something less common, such as a WB x Friesian or WB x Andalusian.

Anybody have any of these crosses? Pics would be amazing if you have!
Or what other not so common crosses do you like?

Cuppa tea and twirl bites for reading :D:p

Alexart

Visit site
I've crossed TB's with friesians and it works pretty well, you'd get something similar with a WB x as most WB's have friesian in their ancestry anyway - but really depends on the mare and her conformation, friesians and andi's tend to have weak backends, and more often nowadays long backs too, so a compact mare with a chunky butt that passes it on is a good idea, though it does depend on the stally you use. We've found crossing our friesian stallion Wessel with TB's gets more often than not pretty big babies - often taller than both parents - so do bear that in mind if you don't want something too tall!!!:D We're lucky with him that he is pretty compact and has a big bum and passes it on, he is the old baroque type though which is rare nowadays but he's not everyones cup of tea as most people now like them to look very light and tubular.
What are you aiming to do with the resultant foal? Any pics of your mare?

Here are a couple of our TB x's:
A 3yr old who is around 17Hh
22052011091_1.jpg

Another 3yr old and he was 16.2H when this pic was taken - his mum is only 15.2Hh!
DSC_0268.jpg

A rather unfit rising 5yr old at the end of a winter of doing nothing except eat!
DSC_0477_2.jpg

A mare that is in training at Crackenthorpe stud, she's just started doing dressage and eventing, she's full sister to the horse above.
DSC_0074.jpg

Another youngster out of the same TB mare as the above 2 but by our first friesian stallion we had who was much smaller than Wessel, he went to HOYS this year and is generally very succesful in the show ring.
sid%20flintham%202010%203.jpg

Hope that helps!!:D

Cherrygarden

Visit site
Pictures of her to go with cuppa tea please? Gets up puts kettle on....I have known several appy/wb's and liked them all, solidly good natured, not always the most classically beautiful with the pink around the eyes and nose etc but I like that. Definitely the sorts to back you up in a fight and the ones I knew at least would give anything a go.
A spotty warmblood crossed with an arab was my teenhood dream, not sure why I just had a picture in my head....:rolleyes:
I have heard of wb iberian crosses but know of none personally and have seen fresians crossed with cobs locally but not warmblood however I think that could work.
Most important though is what you want your future horse to do, what size, type,temperament ability etc then pick the stallion to help your mare do this regardless of how he is bred.

Aidey

Visit site
Not the best pic but this is her

Aidey.jpg

Just looking to breed a general allrounder, bit of dressage/SJ/XC/hacking maybe abit of showing etc
She is 16.2hh, wouldn't mind anything from 15.2-16.2hh.

Alexart - what stunning horses! I am in loveee with the 3rd one down :)

Cherrygarden - "Definitely the sorts to back you up in a fight and the ones I knew at least would give anything a go." You have just described her down to a t :D

htobago

Visit site
Have you considered Arab? The Arab/WB cross seems to work very well. But I suppose it really depends on what specific qualities you are looking for, in which areas you feel your mare needs improvement, etc.

I suspect that photo does not do your girl justice - do you have any more? - but if you want to add beauty and refinement, as well as inherent soundness, good movement, etc., Arab might be a good choice.

Here's an example of an Arab X WB foal:

echonewIMG_0081.jpg

echonewIMG_0084.jpg