Warmbloods - Have they changed?

Smitty

Visit site
Just a an observation really. Sister's first warmblood, by Welf, that she had almost 30 years ago looked as though she could pull a plough. Her next 15 years ago, by Flemmingh, seemed to be a lot lighter, then she had one by Dimaggio 3 years ago that was almost TB type and her new one by Romeo has convinced the permit holder who lives across the road from her that she has been 'done'!

I look back and remember Christina Stuckleberg (???) with Granat and the difference is immense. Do the 'heavier' warmbloods still exist at higher levels competition wise in dressage or have they been replaced by the lighter types?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Yes they have changed dramatically. TB blood was introduced to lighten the breed and make it more versatile. My Westphalian has Lauries Crusador xx who was a TB in his line and the TB influence is very apparent.
There still are some heavy boned Hannoverians that look like they could pull a heavy cart, but they can be decidely great at dressage - Pinnochio springs to mind, but there are many many more. :)

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Of course they have changed so much. In the same way that the riders have changed too - from men in uniform and the occasional elderly lady, to the string of young, blonde, female twentysomethings of today ;)

I always thought Rembrandt was the first 'modern' dressage horse. However, having recently seen footage of Absent I was amazed - a Sixties version of Totilas!