Warning for all Nissan Navaras owners

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Just a warning for people who own a nissan navara particularly the years between 2005 and 2007. There are reports of their chassis' snapping due to corrosion.

I wouldn't like anyone who has one towing their horse trailer or caravan etc have to experience their chasis snapping.

Any owners with concerns should contact Nissan UK who will open an incident.

For more information on the affected models and for pictures of the snapped chasis' and areas of the navaras that are most affected please refer to the following Facebook group:

nissan navara snapped chasis group

If anyone knows of anyone who has one please inform them. l'm aware how popular navaras are so hope not
alot of people are affected.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
This is quite a well known issue I believe!!
Having owned the old model (09) and now a new one we have had no issues, it's quite easy to get the chassis looked at in the garage if you have concerns.
I am led to believe it was the d22 model rather than the d40 which was most affected along with it having engine issues.

Pedantic

Visit site
Yea they like to smash a piston and con rod through the side of the engine casing as well, happened to my neighbors son, cost ££££££'s for new engine, think it took some of the clutch bellhousing as well, I wouldn't touch a nissan with a barge pole since renault took it over.

When Nissan was Japanese, little men went to work early, worked hard all day with pride, went home late, if they made a mistake they cut off a finger in shame, good motors then the french bought Nissan, then you have Megane engines in them and the likes, made by men wearing beret's in stripey jumpers eating garlic starting late finishing early drinking wine chasing women sleeping most of the day going Renee Renee you are seeexeeeeee, not quite the same mindset going into your vehicle build ;-).

jenniaddams

Visit site
Interesting. My dad had an 09 model which is going on to a new home today! And he's just taken ownership of a brand new Navara 2 days ago - he loves them. The old one ran beautifully and never gave any trouble whatsoever and it sold to its new owners with less than 12 hours on gumtree.

Isn't a fault due to corrosion something that could/should be monitored as part of your vehicle care? I don't know, it just seems that to get to the point of corrosion that seriously weakens the structural integrity of the chassis, you really should have noticed by then! He treats all cars with Waxoyl to protect the underside as soon as he gets them home.

booandellie

Visit site
Yea they like to smash a piston and con rod through the side of the engine casing as well, happened to my neighbors son, cost ££££££'s for new engine, think it took some of the clutch bellhousing as well, I wouldn't touch a nissan with a barge pole since renault took it over.

When Nissan was Japanese, little men went to work early, worked hard all day with pride, went home late, if they made a mistake they cut off a finger in shame, good motors then the french bought Nissan, then you have Megane engines in them and the likes, made by men wearing beret's in stripey jumpers eating garlic starting late finishing early drinking wine chasing women sleeping most of the day going Renee Renee you are seeexeeeeee, not quite the same mindset going into your vehicle build ;-).

hahahaha! thanks pedantic, this made me chuckle!!

Beausmate

Visit site
Interesting. My dad had an 09 model which is going on to a new home today! And he's just taken ownership of a brand new Navara 2 days ago - he loves them. The old one ran beautifully and never gave any trouble whatsoever and it sold to its new owners with less than 12 hours on gumtree.

Isn't a fault due to corrosion something that could/should be monitored as part of your vehicle care? I don't know, it just seems that to get to the point of corrosion that seriously weakens the structural integrity of the chassis, you really should have noticed by then! He treats all cars with Waxoyl to protect the underside as soon as he gets them home.

I really wouldn't expect a modern car of that age to rot out to that extent. Unless it's been used for launching boats or something equally wet/salty. I don't know about the construction of the Navarra, but it sounds like an issue with water ingress into a box section that rusts from inside out, and isn't seen until it is too late.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I really wouldn't expect a modern car of that age to rot out to that extent. Unless it's been used for launching boats or something equally wet/salty. I don't know about the construction of the Navarra, but it sounds like an issue with water ingress into a box section that rusts from inside out, and isn't seen until it is too late.

Me either, I live on the coast and everthing round here rusts (sat dishes, road signs etc,) the underside of my Civic still looks great after 3 years and the odd underside jetwash so would be amazed if a chassis rotted through!
Jenniaddams, how easy is it to treat with Waxoyl?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Me either, I live on the coast and everthing round here rusts (sat dishes, road signs etc,) the underside of my Civic still looks great after 3 years and the odd underside jetwash so would be amazed if a chassis rotted through!
Jenniaddams, how easy is it to treat with Waxoyl?

Very easy you need a very clean very dry underneath and then the waxol gets applied sometimes they pump into the box sections as well (all out vehicles are done) then you write a cheque to the person you have paid to do it .
Do not try this yourself it's a hideous under taking .

Mince Pie

Visit site
Very easy you need a very clean very dry underneath and then the waxol gets applied sometimes they pump into the box sections as well (all out vehicles are done) then you write a cheque to the person you have paid to do it .
Do not try this yourself it's a hideous under taking .

Any idea as to cost? Living where I do it sounds like a good idea!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Any idea as to cost? Living where I do it sounds like a good idea!

OH had his new defender done when it arrived it had a really through job done and it cost including the waxol around £500.
It's a ball park figure because it was in a bill with other stuff .