Warning for South Wales Riders

Annagain

Visit site
I think this was in the dunes rather than the beach itself which is very unusual and even more worrying in some ways. I know the estate has put out a statement reminding people they shouldn't ride there without a permit and that they should stick to bridle paths. They came in for some stick for doing that rather than expressing concern for the horses and their owners or letting people know the exact location so it can be avoided. There was nothing to suggest these riders didn't have a permit or weren't on a bridle path other than that post - who knows, someone might just have thought it provided a timely reminder to people even if these riders did have a permit and were where they should be. They don't appear to have clarified whether they were on a path or not so if this WAS on a bridle path this is potentially very dangerous. Obviously they shouldn't have been there if it wasn't a bridle path but that place is so difficult to navigate it doesn't surprise me that people could have ended up off a path unintentionally so it's worth pinpointing it to others to ensure the safety of all using it.

DirectorFury

Visit site
@Angelagain do you know if the dunes/beach are anything to do with NRW? It would explain the lack of concern for horses/riders as they don't seem to like us on any of 'their' land at all.

They don't appear to have clarified whether they were on a path or not so if this WAS on a bridle path this is potentially very dangerous.

The original post says it's a bridlepath and some comments confirmed it's one of the bridlepaths that the local racehorse trainer uses. But some comments are saying they were 60m off the bridlepath so I guess it shows why you need to stick to paths if that is the case.

Annagain

Visit site
@Angelagain do you know if the dunes/beach are anything to do with NRW? It would explain the lack of concern for horses/riders as they don't seem to like us on any of 'their' land at all.

The original post says it's a bridlepath and some comments confirmed it's one of the bridlepaths that the local racehorse trainer uses. But some comments are saying they were 60m off the bridlepath so I guess it shows why you need to stick to paths if that is the case.

I don't know 100%. I think it's NRW but it's all a bit confusing. Years ago I had a permit and got that directly from the MM estate. Then I was told I had to get one from NRW but could never find the right person to ask (despite trying several times) I then gave up and just go to Kenfig now even though it's about 20 minutes further away. The post on Facebook about the incident was from Merthyr Mawr Estate rather than NRW but I don't know if that's NRW in a different guise. I didn't even know there was a MM Estate page until their post got shared.

MM Estate has since clarified on that post that they were 60m away from the bridle path. It also says however that the bridle paths are displayed on a map in the car park and on maps you get with the permit so if that's all riders have to go on, rather than signage (no idea if there is signage, I haven't been there for a few years) I can understand how they can get lost. One path looks like another in places like that. Even at Kenfig where there are markers on the bridle path, with a moment's inattention (especially if you're having a little canter) you can take the wrong fork and be off in a completely different direction.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've been hopelessly lost as Kenfig on foot multiple times, I'd never be seen again if I went there with a horse! If there are no markers it's easy to see how they ended up off the correct path, GPS is awful down there so it's not even like you can use a phone with a map.

It does look suspiciously like MM is under NRW jurisdiction. Sadly Kenfig is being handed back to NRW next year which means you'll soon need a permit to ride there too.

Annagain

Visit site
I've been hopelessly lost as Kenfig on foot multiple times, I'd never be seen again if I went there with a horse! If there are no markers it's easy to see how they ended up off the correct path, GPS is awful down there so it's not even like you can use a phone with a map.

It does look suspiciously like MM is under NRW jurisdiction. Sadly Kenfig is being handed back to NRW next year which means you'll soon need a permit to ride there too.
I'll go back to MM if that's the case. Kenfig is lovely but it'safair bit further and the car park is very open. I've known two horses leg it from Kenfig (one from the dunes themselves and one from the car park after a ride) One ended up nearly on the M4 (got caught on the slip road) and one on the golf club which they weren't happy about.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've ridden on the beach and dunes since I was about 7 and have never encountered this. Its really quite scary but interesting the MME used it as a reason to scaremonger riders into needing a permit again!

There are many ways to ride this where you do not need a permit.

As an aside, when NRW took over local forestry land from the FC and when I rang they were only too happy to honour the fact that horses had been riding on the FC land for many years. So my experience was good.