Warning for users of Mollichaff veteren

minilola

New User
Visit site
I thought I ought to let everyone who uses Mollichaff to be very aware!! Almost all their bags have stones in them and particularly the Veteren. I discovered them when we kept finding small stones in the bottom of his bucket. We thought it was from the ground but having taken precautions to stop it happening, we still kept finding them. To cut a long story short, we have been through about 50 bags of Mollichaff, (40 of them veteren) and have found debris in 90 percent of the bags. Mollichaff have said they cannot guarantee no stones as it is a chaff based product. The sound of my poor old man cruching on a stone and then freaking out by spitting all his feed out of his mouth is terrible. His teeth are really bad and there aren;t many complete hay replacers on the market. So we've been spending hours everynight sorting through it. We have recently found out that Happy Hoof is a complete hay replacer, and soaked, it is a much better product. No stones in this chaff based product and also no Molasses! I wish we had known about this last november!! Would have saved us hours on relentless sorting. Does anyone know the legal implications of stones in a horse feed? No professional body seems to want to know, it can't be right. I think my only hope is to go to trading standards to make them label the product clearly with a warning 'may contain stones (and bones and rubber debris!!'
Has anyone else had the same problem out there? The problem is your horse may quid out the stones on the floor and not back into the bucket, so you're probably none the wiser!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would certainly go to TS. I would think that they would be very interested in someone purportedly selling 15kg (or whatever) of a chaff, when a %age of it is actually stones.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
There are many hay replacers on the market, look at the Dengie range, also Allen & Page Fast Fibre, which really does soak in 30 seconds.

Whenever we've had to send Marksway products back to the wholesaler, we've had a complete replacement with no argument, so long as the white sewn in paper is there too - this has the batch number on it. Not come across stones before though.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Sorry to tell you but happy hoof has molasses in..... Sorry.
Personally I won't use mollichaff off any kind as I think it's all cheap crap but that's just my view on it.
You could try fast fibre or the dengie new un molasses range which is nice and the horses love it

Capriole

Visit site
I found a bit of metal in one alfalfa chaff once, I rang them and they told me I didnt find any metal in there as they have metal detectors and (unless the detectors werent working) so it was impossible.

Basically calling me a liar. I know a piece of metal when I see one fgs :rolleyes:

Ive never found stones in mollichop though, I wouldnt be happy with that either.