WARNING - Myler bits

Halfpass

Visit site
OH was out hacking yesterday and in mid gallop with his lad when his bit snapped. Yes I did say the bit!!! Its a myler comfort snaffle with a wide barrel and has snapped right next to the barrel. He fell off and luckily managed to keep hold of horse then made a make shift hackamore to get home. Really could have been nasty he was so lucky. Have emailed Myler as have had bit for a couple of years and can't remember where we bought it from. Should be interesting to see what the reply is.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Saw something similar happen at college last year, a horses pelham snapped as it was jumping through a treble, a chink of the bit smacked the horse in the face, girl got chucked off, wasn't nice!
crazy.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I use a myler, but think it could happen with any bit i.e unlucky accident?
I.e the pelham above?
Hum.....reminds you to check your bits!

Halfpass

Visit site
Thats the thing though you wouldn't have known it was going to snap even by checking it. Had given it a good clean the day before so it had been looked over thoroughly and i didn't notice anything.

k9h

Visit site
God what a shock. Glad OH ok. Like you say will be interesting to see what Myler respond to you???

bellgave

Visit site
Think this sought of thing can happen with any bit, not just a Myler. I had a hackamore break on me once in the middle of a jump off !!! Went round the arena very fast for several minutes!!! Just one of those things, Id be far more inclined to check leatherwork on bridles, thats far more likely to break.

GTs

Visit site
My friend Pablo has a guy in Ecuador who makes his bits for him - he had one of his break, tried to stop the horse with his fingers in the horses cheeks. He ended up in a wreck with a broken Pelvis and was in the hospital for months!

kirstyfk

Visit site
I had a friend whose bit broke when she was in the ring at the Pony Club championships. Although she got eliminated they let her do the 2nd round where she had 1 down - she was so disapionted.

Reashi

Visit site
My sisters bit broke going cross country with quite a tank of a horse. She tried to turn it a circle but it jumped over a fence and headed off to the dressage arenas - only for her to be told "will you please get control of your horse" by the dressage steward!

sqippa

Visit site
I had a snaffle snap. Luckily whilst I was lunging and not riding. Hope OH and horse are none too worse for the event!

Have to say though that this can happen to any bit, bridle, reins, girth, stirrups......... I doubt the make has anything to do with it. All goods can perish or can be made with a fault and some simply wear out.
I have 2 Myler bits and will continue to use them without too much concern...no more concern than I would any bit. I am sure that you will get a reasonable response from Myler, if not then there will be reason to be concerned.

Sqip