WARNING

guido16

Visit site
So tonight I went out to give hay and found one nag with no rug. Rest who had rugs were wearing theirs.

Then I noticed that the very big free standing metal hay manger was nowhere to be seen...

Confused.com

Turns out that the rug and manger are both half way down the field. Rug is perfectly split in half, down the middle. Poor boy obviously got caught and headed off down the field until they all parted company.

No injuries, except to the rug. None of the buckles are damaged, no obvious place where he has got caught on it.

So warning to you all.

Needless to say, hay is now in piles on the ground again.

Bloody horses!

Last edited:

guido16

Visit site
He is worse than most.

If the wind changes direction he will find an excuse to injure himself.

And you would think it was all my fault the way he looked at me tonight. It was the two finger up and don't try and kill me again sort of look.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Glad he's ok.
I found my horse had parted company with his rug, so searched the field and found it. The rug still had all the buckles done up and there were no tears or missing bits.
Still can't work out how he and his mates managed to get it off his rather substantial frame, unless one of the clever devils had a sense of humour and did the straps back up.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
HR, if the rug has a fillet string rather then leg straps, the wind can blow the rug up over the horse's back and then straight over their head. If it has leg straps and they were still done up, then it's a total mystery. ;)

ETA.
the very big free standing metal hay manger

Was it a sheep feeder?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
It's amazing what they get up to when we're not looking. Glad your horse is ok OP.

Horserider I've seen them wiggle out the back way if the belly straps are loose enough and there's no legstraps. The bum is turned to the wind and with the head down grazing it just sort of gets blown half off and then they wiggle out. One pony with a too-big rug, that didn't like being rugged, I saw her climb out the front!

Archangel

Visit site
Oh lord, glad he is OK. Probably best you didn't see it happen in a way.

The huge bull that shared my horse's field got his head stuck in one of those big round cattle feeders. I went to help him just as he just picked the whole thing up and shook it like it was nothing :eek: Luckily it came off in the opposite direction to me and it rolled down the hill and crashed into the chicken house :eek: He then looked at me and thought "you're next" :eek: