Wartlike lumps.

mattydog

Visit site
Last week one of my horses had what looked like a small weepy wound on his hind leg. Cleaned it and put wound powder on. However, I then noticed several more and also what looks like warts on his neck and quarters. They are small and black and drop off after about 24 hours to leave a small red circular bald patch which then weeps for a day or so. My other horse also got them a couple of days later. They are in random places all over their bodies! Not itchy or painful to touch. Am currently treating them with Isaderm cream. Any ideas anyone. Never seen anything like them before. Did think ringworm but really nothing like any ringworm I have ever seen. I haven’t been affected despite treating them both.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Are they stabled to lie down, and have you recently used a new batch of bedding? Depending on how big they are, this sounds very like insect bites from the location, number and description. Either that or some weird fungus.

mattydog

Visit site
Yes they are stabled. Had new shavings delivered Thursday but still using old batch. Same field for turnout. Same feed, rugs. Everything exactly as it was. Don’t look like bug bites. Will try and get some decent pics when they come in. This morning they both had some appeared overnight just above the coronet band.
Have had horses for over 50 years and never seen anything like this before! 🤔

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
With that location this morning, I'd be even more suspicious that they are some odd kind of bug bite. Did they lie down last night? It might be a clue if they didn't.

mattydog

Visit site
Definitely not ticks. Yes they both lay down last night. If they continue to appear over the weekend I will get the vet out Monday. Watch this space! 🙄