Warts - Have Vet coming out but wanted your opinions too!

smallgirl

Visit site
HI all

My horse has recently (6 weeks) started to develop warts around one nostril, they are quite small but have increased from two to about 20 small ones.

The Vet is coming out this afternoon to look at them, now I have been given differnet advice as usual!

Some people are saying leave them alone, they will disappear within a few months, other are saying have them frozen off and others are saying I need to boost his immune system (but not knowing what with).

If anyone has had these on thier horse can they give me a bit of advice please so I can talk this through with the Vet nad know what I'm talking about.

I am very open minded on these things so the more advice the better.

Many thanks

miamibear

Visit site
My horse has a very tiny one on his nose so i would be interested what your vet says, please give us an update.

My physio pointed it out and said leave it and dont pick it or it will spread.

Horses can get grass warts (or something like that) that cover the nose but do go on their own just dont pick them would be my advice but i would be interested to hear the vet advice

smallgirl

Visit site
Wow that was quick!

I will let you know what they say, I'm a b****r for picking things like scabs, so will have to be extra good I guess.

He lives with 2 other horses, and they haven't caught them which is lucky and a bit confusing.

miamibear

Visit site
Sometimes they dont catch depends if they touch noses i guess, the broken skin is where they spread so no picking. Im a b*gger for picking too!! LOL
grin.gif

vanessahook

Visit site
My horse developed warts on her face when she was younger (about 3/4 i think), the vet saw them and wasn't worried by them so i just left them and they disappeared.
I put it down to adolescent spots and they have never come back! But better to have them checked in case they are something more sinister.

smallgirl

Visit site
smile.gif
It is so hard to leave them!! Must be a good girl!

He is in fields with both of them so has definately touched them since catching them, does anyone know where they come from?

amage

Visit site
a five yr old in our place has them on his belly back towards his sheath. the biggest one dropped off about two days ago. it was steadily increasing in size then just popped out. pretty disgusting but they don't bother him at all so we were advised to just leave them. might get that one frozen at end of season cause its a bit big (about 1.5 inch diameter) but that would be more for cosmetic reasons!

Kelly1982

Visit site
My horse had a wart on his nose, i got vet to check it and she said just to leave it and it will fall off. It got bigger at first but then dropped off and never came back.

My new horse also has warts in her ears, i got a totally different vet from another practice to look and he told me to leave them too.

tking

Visit site
Unigirl how old is your horse- youngsters can get milk warts, they are just left alone and will clear up, some horses get loads others one or two, my youngster got one on his eye lid, and years ago my shetland yearlings heads were covered in them.

bellgave

Visit site
My sister bought a pony who had AWFUL warts, they were all up the side of his face and around his mouth (poor boy). The vet gave her some cream which I think is called Blood root, or somethin similar (sorry cant find the vets bill which arrived this morning!!!) It worked really well and pony is now wart free!!!!
One of my horses is 4 and has a few tiny warts around his sheath, but Ive kept a close eye on them, they havent spread or gotten any bigger, infact one has fallen off on its own recently!!!

smallgirl

Visit site
Hi All

Well Vat was confused about where he caught them from, and at his age (8) why he caught them and also why the other two horses there didn't catch them.

But he told me not to worry, gave me some Salynic (sp) Acid cream to slather on twice a day and they should clear up or start to at least in a few weeks.

He did mention about his Immune System not being able to fight them off which concerned him slightly.

And the creams is only about £6 so if he needs it for a long while its no bother really.

He also mentioned that herbs etc wouldn't harm him so if anyone knows of any that would boost his immune system, he is already on garlic and veg oil I'm open to suggestions.