Warts

saswain

Visit site
My horse has a small wort on her face for about a year. She now has one on her back under the saddle area abd I think I can feel a couple more on her side. They are small and dont seem to be bother her. Is there anything I can use to get rid of them? Or should I leave well alone? Are they linked to sarcoids?

kcgibson

Visit site
dont think they are linked to sarcoids, they are just small lumps and it tends to be that if they have one, they usually get more as (i am pretty sure) they are a virus. If they dont bother her then removing them would be purely cosmetic, altho if you wanted them removing, your vet would prob do it under local anaesthetic (possibly with sedation depending how quiet/hyper she is). Chances are tho that even if you had them removed, others would appear. If she is young you might consider having them removed, particulaly if you show her, but if she is getting on a bit, i would be inclined to leave them alone. Maybe ask your vet to have a look next time she has a visit (for vaccinations or whatever). hope that helps!!

kcgibson

Visit site
sorry just re-read your post and you say there is one on her saddle area, is she ridden? if so i would maybe get a vet for advice on what to do (depends on size and if saddle is actually coming into contact with the wart). If not, i guess its not a prob.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Warts and angleburrys are all part of the sarcoid family. If she is 2-4 years old they will probably go of their own accord. Many youngsters do get them, particularly around the muzzle.

I have had 100% success rate treating warts and sarcoids with Thuja 30c which you can get from your healthfood shop.

Pm me if you want any more info on it.

saswain

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. My horse is 8 yrs so not sure if they will go away on the own accord. I have left a message with my vet to see what they think. I will pm you about the thuraj - thank you

GreedyGuts

Visit site
Warts are totally different to sarcoids. Warts are coused by a virus and are usually seen in young horses. Sarcoids are a tumour, although a part ot the bovine wart virus has been implicated in their development. There is a chance that what you are describing are sarcoids. If they are not causing a problem then just monitor them for changes, however you may want to get your vet out to confirm what they are and to discuss possible treatment, as the one in the saddle area may need addressing at some stage.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
In young horses they usually disappear after a few weeks.
However as your horse is older, and they seem more persistant I would get the vet to check they are not sarcoids(I wouldnt usually bother, but the one sounds badly positioned). You can get bog standard 'wart cream' off the vet. I havent used it on warts, but it takes my horses sarcoid off within days.