was a sad day on Saturday

_daisy_

Visit site
it was a great day till my friend (Ebi and Chantins previous owner) called me up in the evening. Her mare (Ellie) who i had on loan for a while has been on loan to her friend for breeding. She has bred foals for the last 4 years. She had this years foal 26/05/06. Lovely colt by all of accounts.

Well unfortunately he had to be PTS on Saturday as hed got colic. The lady who has him on loan checked him in the morning and all was fine, she then went back up later on (mid afternoon i think) and found him lying in the field gateway with Ellie and other horses stood around. Ellie was bagged up and milk pouring out. Obviously foalie hadnt had a drink for a while. Took them both to the stable and called vet. Well he went down hill. Vet arrived and put a line in him but said there wasnt much they could do for him even if they managed to get him to the vet centre.

Ellies has had to be sedated. Cant even imagine how shes feeling after having a foal at foot and now nothing. He was just 9wks old. Well shes going back home to my friend as the loanee hasnt managed to get her back in foal.

Ive mentioned to my friend about the foaling bank (think thats what its called) and shes going to try and sort something out as Ellie is really producing milk by the bucket loads atm.

it really makes you feel grateful for every minute youve got with them and at any time they could have problems. You think that the first few weeks are the major hurdle but obviously not. I started panicking about Willow as shes only 5wks old. What happens if this and what happens if that? All the questions are running through my mind. Why did he get colic? could there have been any chance to save him? its so worrying.

Any advice about helping Ellie out?

hellyt1

Visit site
how sad, thinking of all who are involved. haven't any experience with this situation so can't offer any advice other than plenty of TLC. the foaling bank sounds like a good idea tho.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
That's very sad and the foaling bank is a very good idea.

Leahurst vet college are seeing a vast amount of colic cases this year, especially sand colic and foals have been some of the worse; it's been a very sad year for some breeders.

FadedFantasy

www.piczo.com
How sad
frown.gif
!! She proberly needs attention like any other person would after loosing a child:( Sad news..xo

_daisy_

Visit site
have Leahurst said whats causing it?
im really worried now about Willow. Seriously need to keep a really close eye on her now ive heard about this.

_jetset_

Visit site
I think the heat has something to do with it in some way... a horse on our yard had to be pts because of colic and the vet said they had a lot of cases in this weather? Perhaps horses not getting enough water...

I am very sorry to hear about your friend's foal. I hope the mare is ok and does not pine for too long without her baby.

Claireg9

Visit site
frown.gif
Poor Mummy and owners!
Its not fair that such a young one can be taken, but everything happens for a reason i suppose, and maybe if you do call the foaling bank, mummy can make a super foster mum to another desperate little baby!
So so sad, big hugs to all involved... what a sad day
frown.gif

RIP Little one x

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers Rebecca for that. I wonder if that is what upset Ellies foal.
If thats the case for the majority of cases im lucky cos the field Ebi and Willow are in has loads n loads of shade. Also hopefully the weather is going to break then it might ease the problems. Maybe ill get some coligone just to make sure.
wink.gif

Going to call my friend tonight to see if she has an update for me, and pass on everyones best wishes. Hopefully they mightve got something sorted with the foaling bank.