Was this you? Do you know this person?

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Riding out this evening in Venn Ottery, East Devon? On a grey appallosa? Crossing the busy B3180 at rush hour on a Friday? 5:40 in a gathering dusk? With no form of hi-viz or lights? Wearing dark clothing? Putting yourself, other road users and most importantly, your lovely little horse at risk of injury or death?

If so, you're an idiot.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks TP (how are those lovely horses of yours by the way?)

It just makes me so cross. You could probably see Marjorie and I from space. I value hers and my safety.

The worst part is that the rider looked like they were only a teenager, so somewhere a parent or two are letting their child do this. Unbelievable. I am all for allowing kids having a degree of freedom, but this was beyond stupid....

1stclassalan

Visit site
I met one of those years ago - parked up and went over to give some sagely advice but the girl rider was already in tears - she'd started out hacking to our village, to find a farm she'd not been too before and misjudged how quickly it would get dark ( I forget the time of year but it wasn't February!). Luckily I knew where she had to go so I said for her to get her horse up behind my rearlights and stay there so I could see them both and then I drove the two miles - making cars get out the damn way - I'm sure the would have been a tragedy as a car had only just missed them before I pulled up.

I think this girl learned her lesson - let's hope this one does - madness.

Tinypony

Visit site
Even worse if it was a youngster, but maybe their parents are blissfully ignorant, having purchased loads of high viz that isn't being worn? There are adults on here who say they don't wear high viz because of the way it looks.

(My lot are grand thanks, not doing much, I'm in my tough it out for winter mode. I still want to emigrate to your area!).

PandorasJar

Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think it is illegal.

Just had a quick look. It isn't, but should be! As a cyclist you have to have lights in night conditions and comply to far more rules on the road. Yet as a rider with an unpredictable animal, you are 'strongly recommended' or 'should'.

I am a firm believer that to be allowed on a road you should have 3rd party insurance at minimum and wear reflective/lights in poor conditions. Just as any other vehicle on the road.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
MARJORIE ? My mum's name - fantastic for a horse to be called after my mum. I do hope she hasn't inherited my mum's "little ways" though :eek:

Sigh, yes Marjorie (posh name: Vlacq Majid) has lots of "little ways". Well, she is an arabian princess after all.....

I'm not saying I've NEVER been cutting it fine, but I always, always, ALWAYS wear hiviz - Marjorie too. And I always stick to a route I know well/how long it takes if time is an issue.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Just had a quick look. It isn't, but should be! As a cyclist you have to have lights in night conditions and comply to far more rules on the road. Yet as a rider with an unpredictable animal, you are 'strongly recommended' or 'should'.

I am a firm believer that to be allowed on a road you should have 3rd party insurance at minimum and wear reflective/lights in poor conditions. Just as any other vehicle on the road.

I agree. Pedestrians in unlit areas should also have the nous to wear hi viz too!

fizzer

Visit site
I get looked down to as I wear at least a hi viz waistcoat if not a hi viz jacket and hat band. They laugh and snigger. I just can not believe people are so shallow. It really baffles me as to why 99% of riders I see do not wear hi viz.

princestar

Visit site
My horse is currently away being backed. But when he comes home and we finally get to hacking out we will be so noticable: orange wrap around exercise sheet, yellow tabbard, blue boots and rein attachmrnts and a yellow noseband.... we're going to look like a couple of wallies but safe hopefully ;)

PandorasJar

Visit site
I agree. Pedestrians in unlit areas should also have the nous to wear hi viz too!

Agreed. Pity that again the highway code says that children should be accompanied by an adult and should wear reflective at night etc never a must. If on a road you should be sensible. If you can't do that, do as I did as a drunk teen living rurally - walk the field home.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I totally agree. I see so many almost invisible horses and riders around our way. It's only a matter of time before I verbally lay into someone - probably someone who doesn't thank me for slowing down/passing wide even though I could hardly see them in the first place:mad:

pizzi

Visit site
I have someone who rides past my house frequently at dusk, on a bay horse. She wears dark clothing and no lights , hi vis etc. It is a country road and cars speed along it.
This person comes from a local livery yard and is the yard "expert" :rolleyes:

Sh** for brains!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Just to redress the balance, today we went out wearing...

Flourescent yellow bridle and hiviz exercise sheet on the ayrab.
Hatband and my fabulous Rockfish padded hi-viz gillet on myself.

Kaylum

Visit site
Idiot why put other people and your horse at risk? There used to be some toffee nosed event riders in the yard opposite and they never wore hi viz and one said her horses were worth a fortune? Yeah right I believe you.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Idiot why put other people and your horse at risk? There used to be some toffee nosed event riders in the yard opposite and they never wore hi viz and one said her horses were worth a fortune? Yeah right I believe you.

If your horse was worth a fortune, would you want to protect it?!