Washing off...

Should Munchie's OH agree with everything she says?

• Total voters

vivhewe

Visit site
I wash off in summer if it's really warm and horse is sweaty so he can feel a bit fresher. Usually cold water out of the trough does the trick
wink.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
depends on how hot and the weather at the time. If sweated up badly as far as possible i will wash off with luke warm water then rug up in a thermatex or similar to allow to dry off. sometimes though I prefer to rug up to dry then brush off the dried sweat when dry. Really just depends on how hot the horse is

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I will wash off legs and feet but never the bodies! If I wash Storm's body off she ties up so now I'm too paraniod to wash Missy off but they always get a good brush as soon as they're dry.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I do same as Tigers eye if sweaty. With that method he drys within 10 mins. If hunting I wash off just the legs in cold water with hose the night before. My lifeline in winter is a cactus mitten as my horse is very ticklish and no other way of getting mud off.

Macha

Visit site
I use lukewarm water to wash legs off when she comes in and if she is muddy and sweaty after exercise.
She loves being washed especially drying her legs with the hairdryer after
grin.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Depends how hot/sweaty they are. I wash off in the summer with cold water and warm in the winter if its a cold day. I always put a sweat rug on in the winter as I don't what them to catch a chill.

RunToEarth

Visit site
In the winter he gets cold hose under belly and on his legs- after fast work or hunting- mainly for the mud, and then washed over with warm water, in the summertime he gets cold water.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Not enough options to the poll..

I only really tend to wash off in the summer, when i'll just use the cold hose pipe!!

If i do wash off in the winter, then it would deffo be with warm/hot water

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Same as tigerseye. I wash off everytime he's worked with hot water (cap full of savlon for me though) and a towel rung til its almost dry.

In summer i use cool water (not as cold as the hosepipe...). I fill buckets before i ride then leave them in the sun to take the edge off them slightly
smile.gif

jayvee

Visit site
May I ask why the use of savlon or vinegar?
Is it to counteract the use of hot water? as hot/warm water opens the pores to allow infection in. I was lead to believe hot/warm water is bad to use because of the above.
Just I have never heard of adding these into the water. Please enlighten me, don't want to hijack thanks.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
In summer everything gets hosed off after working.
In winter geldings will get hosed off if very sweaty, fillies and mares get washed off with warm water if any sign of a chill in the air. If a gelding isnt especially sweaty will sponge off ears and girth with water cleaned out from drinkers. Will usually add Medivet if washing off with warm water.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In summer everything gets hosed off after working.
In winter geldings will get hosed off if very sweaty, fillies and mares get washed off with warm water if any sign of a chill in the air. If a gelding isnt especially sweaty will sponge off ears and girth with water cleaned out from drinkers. Will usually add Medivet if washing off with warm water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Medivet, though only in the winter.

Why do you use warm water on the fillies and mares? Something to do with tying up?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Wash off in the hot weather - Cairo is a sweaty beastie.

In cold weather prefer to leave to dry and then groom unless he is very sweaty in which case I will hot towel or sponge the clipped areas.