Wasps hounding my horses

0ldmare

Visit site
My 2 horses are being driven mad by bee's or wasp's. Its not a swarm that chases them its always just a single wasp that follows them all the time and tries to land on their legs or flanks. Its driving them mad. I was out there twice over the weekend and managed to kill both of the bee's but it keeps happening. Has anyone else had this problem. Fly repellent doesnt seem to stop them at all!

ruscara

Visit site
Are you sure they are not Bot flies? They look a bit bee or wasp like, but with long stingy things. They are trying to lay their eggs on the horses. Horses hate them!

spaniel

Visit site
Sounds to me like a bot fly. Fly repellent just doesnt work IME so if you have to keep your horses out you are going to need to invest in a bot knife!

I was really hoping we wouldnt see bots this year but I had to cut short a schooling session a few days ago after we were targeted by one that wouldnt take no for an answer.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Sounds like bot fly to me, they look like a honey bee but with a long tail they spray the eggs from.
We haven't managed to find a fly repelaant that keeps them off, and the horses regularly gallop round to escape them. Best method is stalk them, whack hard with your hand (they don't seem to have a sting) then tread on them quick.
You need to remove the eggs in the autumn too with a scraper for bots.. (and make sure your wormer covers them too..)

0ldmare

Visit site
You clever people! I have just looked at a photo of a Bot fly on the web and it is those that are chasing them. I have tried all sorts of fly sprays and now make my own (doesnt seem any more or less effective than the bought ones). If anyone has found a spray that keeps these fly's away I would love to know about it.

Accy

Visit site
I use Flygone LA and so far my horse has had no bot flys lay on him and seems not to be being pestered, although many others on the same yard are.

Maybe worth a go

elaineh

Visit site
A big blue fly thing terrorised my hunter one day, for over an hour. Horse was jogging/walking around 2 paddocks contnously. We thought he had cloic of some sort as he kept looking to his flanks. Brought him into stable, and he stopped and stood quietly. brought him back outside, and he started non-stop walking again. Then we saw a big fat blue fly/bee!! Swatted bee, horse left out again, peace returned
smile.gif

Talk about a persistant bee!!