Wat you feed your 5yos...

naza

Visit site
(Apologies for the title, can't seem to edit it now?!)

Hi
Just asking feeding advice or what people give their 5yos in work.
She's an Irish draft, ridden 6 times a week but not heavy work each time.
She is pretty forward & sharp of the leg so definetly don't want extra energy, i am more looking to feed something as a token feed I guess.?

Last edited:

Abi90

Visit site
My 4yo ID who is forward but not sharp gets half an Alfa and a handful of conditioning mix and that's it at the moment.

Asha

Visit site
My 5 yo ID gets Alfa A and some keep calm from baileys. Hasnt changed her attitude at all. Still forward and easy .

TGM

Visit site
Not a 5yo but a 4yo in work 4 to 6 days a week, mostly hacking with some schooling, jumping and a few short days hunting. Gets ad lib haylage, Spillers Lite Balancer, and a bit of unmollassed beet.

ihatework

Visit site
17hh Welsh x tb, good weight, worked 5 days a week gets grass, hay and 2 small feeds of half scoop grass chaff, mug omega rice, Vit&min powder.

He was getting more but lost his feed privileges :D

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
As advised on here, my 5yo connie has had his feed cut back because he was getting very spooky..

He's now getting a vit supplement, small handful of chaff, and fast fibre. With haylage.

Fiona

LeannePip

Visit site
mines a 6yo but hopefully it still counts! She's 15.1hh ISHXHann, in medium work, ridden 5-6 days a week, has been event fit all summer, winning down a bit now but still competing at Novice dressage and 1m+ showjumping.

She gets a scoop of Hifi, 3/4 scoop of Oats and 1/3 scoop of micronized linseed. Morning and Evening + ad-lib haylege. She's quite forward going and sharp but needs some energy from her feed to keep her sparky :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
fibrebeet , micronized linseed , balancer and some low sugar chaff. He sometimes has power cubes or simliar for extra oomph (he is now as the onset of winter has made him a bit sleepy!)

JJS

Visit site
Mine has had most of this year off to be a mum, but she gets exactly the same as a mare with foal at foot as she did last year when she was in work - a handful of chaff just to trick her into thinking she's had some dinner!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
My 5 year old is having the tiniest feed of Speedibeet with Dengie Healthy Hooves chaff, just so I can mix his camomile with something. Literally a handful of feed. He's out 24/7 & the grass is getting less, but he's a Moor pony & still doing very well.

Asha

Visit site
My 5 yo ID gets Alfa A and some keep calm from baileys. Hasnt changed her attitude at all. Still forward and easy .

Forgot to mention, my other ID x TB ( very blood type think the ID bit got lost ) has the same as above, but more plus protexin gut balancer, since shes been on it,shes working much better, focused and with enough energy to get her around a full course of jumps.

In fact my other 2 ridden ones have the same, and no one has gone bonkers yet. ( adlib haylage and poor grass )

windand rain

Visit site
All mine from 6 months to 26 years are fed the same a bit of oat straw chaff with soaked grass nuts, speedibeet, a small cup of linseed and a vitamin supplement whole feed covers the bottom of a bucket to about 4 inches they are good doers and are only fed so the old girl gets her turmeric and to make sure they are getting all they need they are still on restricted grazing and no hay.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My 4.5yo connie is getting a handful of mollichaff calmer, quarter cup micronised linseed, half a scoop speedibeet and pro hoof twice a day. He is barefoot, out of work & stabled overnight. He is given ad lib timothy haylage - but he only eats what he wants he isn't greedy. He's a good weight and has a lovely shiny coat!

Alibear

Visit site
6 year old QH 1/2 a stubs scoop of local brand horse & pony mix twice a day. Tuned out for 7 hours a day, adlib haylage when in. If she'd eat hay I'd swap it for the haylage.
She does 45 mins work 6 days a week.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Handful of grassnuts, dash of micronised linseed and grass chop to fill it out.

She's 5, 15.3hh and in light work, holding her weight well without being fizzy :).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
My 2yo Connie X is fed 1 feed a day of speedibeet and linseed - she's a goodish doer but very active in the field and quiet of temperament
My 3yo TB X is fed 2 feeds a day of speedibeet and linseed - she's a hyperactive poor doer prone to colic but has been very well since I upped her linseed. She's just backed
My 8yo WB X is fed 2 feeds a day of speedibeet and linseed with Alcar and vit e for his muscles. He's hacked 10-12 miles a week over two days and then schooled for 45-60mins three times a week and is very laid back.

So all fed the same, but the amounts range from 2 handfuls for the youngest to half a bucket full for the oldest. The two youngsters get hay and the older one gets haylage in his stable but hay out in the field (I have very little grass left)

Jericho

Visit site
Our 5 yr ex racer is on alfalfa a oil, top spec comprehensive balancer, top spec cool
Condition cubes , linseed and speedibeet. In at night for 10hrs in ad-lib hay and out on rough old grass during day. In work 3-4 days a week

amandaco2

Visit site
mine gets TB chaff, basemix in winter and pro hoof in summer. she gets ulcer supps as well.
I feed as low sugar/ natural as poss.
living out definitely helps keep mine chilled out as much as poss, with adlib grazing/hay