WATCHDOG AT 7PM

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I'm gonna watch it!
laugh.gif

_April_

Visit site
That was exactly what I thought vic even I feel a bit mean for saying so!

There was one who was blaming the lack of a passport for her being chucked off?!

RobinHood

Visit site
Just watched it. I'm glad to say I've never had any dealings with the man and eel sorry for the people involved but why on earth did they not get the horses vetted before buying them?

peapod

Visit site
I cannot believe one woman sent back her horse because her farrier (presumably a respected professional!) said it was too dangerous to shoe.....and then bought ANOTHER one off this dealer!?

Cinders

Visit site
a few years ago we bought a horse off him and completely fell for his lies, and if we'd known then what we know now, we'd never have bought him. but you learn from your mistakes! lol

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wondered why the horse that was crippled and couldn't be ridden was clipped?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Said EXACTLY the same to my husband. That horse was freshly clipped.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I'm sorry but I don't agree that it serves them right. The man featured on Watchdog has been fined on more than one occasion for breaking the law with regard to his horse dealing. I have seen it in the papers. I don't think that this programme told the half of what has actually happened. Even if the dealer concerned hadn't broken the law (and he must have or he wouldn't have been fined) surely you must agree that it is morally wrong to take advantage of someone's inexperience just because you can?

I have just bought my first horse and he is lovely but it would have been easy for someone to have taken advantage of my inexperience and sold me a horse which was not suited to my ability. Most people on here seem vastly more experienced than me and could probably spot a rogue dealer a mile off but not everyone has that level of expertise to draw on. Imagine how you would feel if you were ripped off by a plumber, second hand car dealer etc (not trying to imply that any of these people would rip you off, but they could couldn't they if you weren't well versed in plumbing matters or dodgy motors)?

Like I said, I am a total novice, but I didn't think vetting advised you on the horse's suitabilty temperament wise only it's physical condition?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Vetting would have discovered the 'six' year old was four, it would have identified a 'crippled' horse and unless I am mistaken a vetting couldn't take place without a valid passport so yes, I do believe if the purchasers had invested in a vetting their problems could have been averted.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I don't agree that it serves them right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but I can't see in ANY of the posts where ANYONE has said it serves them right?

Don't get me wrong, I have a friend who worked for this guy so I am more aware then most of what goes on HOWEVER, I don't think (speaking generally) that 'I'm a novice' is an acceptable excuse for denying all responsibilty buying a horse.

You are quite right, a vetting is for physical suitability- a few of the people on watchdog were contesting physical things hence the comments on this thread.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Yes, I understand that and, to be fair, I have probably got a lot more information about this dealer than was revealed on Watchdog so it is the people who bought horses with unsuitable temperaments which I am thinking about i.e they asked for quiet horses but got nutters (of whatever age). Also I still can't excuse anyone for deliberately fleecing innocent purchasers. How can anyone defend that?

charmaine

Visit site
I think some people are too quick to judge other people's mistakes. Yes, I was one of those ripped off and yes looking back I could have checked this guy out more thoroughly. A lot of those who bought horses from him are probably quite novicey but this is why they went to him in the first place. He was advertising horses suitable for novice and nervous riders with a 7 day no quibble money back guarantee. We were not to know at the time of purchase that he had no intention of honouring this guarantee. We probably all made mistakes but at the end of the day this is a guy who is selling horses with all sorts of serious problems as novice bombproof rides. He is the one who is guilty here not us.
Can you smug people who feel no sympathy for us put your hand on your heart and honestly say this could never ever have happened to you.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Well said Charmaine! Just because someone is a novice does not mean that it is morally or legally right to sell them an unsuitable horse. If this man wasn't breaking the law then he would not have been on Watchdog in the first place. Also no novice that I know uses the fact that they are a novice to "deny all responsibility [when] buying a horse". That would mean all novices are either mad, stupid or both and that's just not true!!

charmaine

Visit site
I agree with everything you have said on here, capondeville. A lot of those people passing comments have only what they have just seen on the programme to go on. What most of them don't know is Watchdog just highlighted a few cases and you and I both know that was just the tip of the iceberg and there is much, much more horror that has gone unmentioned.

Weezy

Visit site
OK I have written and deleted 4 replies, but the jist of it is the following:

1) If you are novice then surely you should be looking at someone more experienced than you for advice on a prospective horse purchase - after all it is half a ton of living, breathing muscle

2) If you are novice, it usually means you cannot pick up what more experienced people can - age, soundness, conformation faults and therefore it is even more important to have a horse vetted

I do not think it "serves people right" God, I dont like to think that people are ending up in hospital because of the horse they buy - but it IS buyer beware for ALL things, and even moreso when it comes to horses - common sense should prevail, and that means vet/experienced trainer/other to give guidance so as to ensure your safety, fun and future happiness and wellbeing?