Water and electric costs for a small yard?

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Hiya, only ever been on livery, so no clue on the annual costs of the above for a small 5 box and one tack room yard...trying to work out costs for a potential oportunity if anyone can help?

To give you an idea horses out 24/7 8-9 months of the year, work full time so lights on maybe half an hour in the morning, 3 hours in the evening mondy to friday in the winter. Flood lit school for 2 hours of riding in the evening.

Only covering the cost of the actual usage, not anything else!

Thanks.

C

Spottyappy

Visit site
I am on a sub meter for water, so the standing charge is split 3 ways. I have 3 horses,sometimes 4, and on average the water bill is £35-40 a quarter.
I have solar so can't help with electric.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Thanks all...still looking for some ideas on the electric. This is not on mains drainage but the small yard is off a properties mains so its literally just the cost of what we would use!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a 5/7 box yard, water is on a meter for 'field' and I have between 2 and 4 equines at any time.
Usual payment every 6 months averages about £25 - 30.00. Half yearly meter charge is around £20 each time, a cubic metre is currently about a quid.
I do have waterbutts and these are used for washing buckets, boots, feet etc. Obviously biggest consumption is field tanks in summer.
Oh - not much pony washing going on either :redface3:

My lighting is all 12v so cant help you on electric costs.

honetpot

Visit site
My electric for my barn and stables is a prepayment metre, just about the most expensive electric you can buy. The standing charge is actually more than my electric usage, which is a mains electric fence and occasional lights which are big fluorescent ones, it works about £5 a week.

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
My yard is also supplied with water via a neighbouring property. If you get the water company to put in a meter between main property and yard you will not have to pay the sewerage part of the bill which practically halves it. My yard is 5 boxes but electric bill is miniscule as I don't have a floodlit school and never do the horses now in the dark.Just the mains fencer and a bit of clipping. I also collect rain water for soaking hay when possible.