Water fences.. our only stumbling block!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Bee is procrssing nicely at XC training. One small stumbling block is the water and I understand with young horses this is normal. She will take a lead eventually, but only after she has stood looking, pawing, snorting and stepping closer and closer into it. Once in she will exit and and go in time and time again without a problem. It's the initial step in!

I know this is a trust issue that must build up with horse and rider. Katie is very good, gives her a long rein to look & sniff, gentle squeezes and asks her to go forward when she is getting closer, lots of voice and praise. It's just we haven't reached the stage where Bee trusts her enough to pop into the water without the above mentioned performance. I'm assuming in a competition this would get her eliminated or well over time.

So, any tips or advice to help her through this issue? By the way Bee is 5yrs and Katie 13.

Edited to say... Once in the water Bee LOVES it, has a real ball splashing and trotting around, and she likes beach rides.. It's the stepping into unknown water that's still the problem..

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
It is a question of doing as much water as possible with a friend to build confidence if required. In the winter go through as many puddles and find as much natural water as possible. The more they do the more confident they get. Just make it fun for the moment don't put any pressure on. It's great he loves it once he gets in so in time he will learn to trust and love it.

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I'm going through a similar thing with my youngster (4 yr old). Water was the most terrifying thing EVER a couple of months ago. We would stand snorting at it for an eternity before taking the brave step in and finding out it was quite nice after all and what a great noise we could make when we stamped our hooves up and down!

I've been taking him through streams, fords, giant puddles, small puddles - and next week he's going to the beach for the first time. He's really enjoying it and feeling quite grown up!

It's just time and patience. It'll come!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Sarah -Jane, that picture of you jumping into the water jump has given me hope LOL.. it'l take a while to get there but I am sure we will.

Thanks Noodlejaffa, I thnk it is time and patience as you say, I just wondered was I missing some miracle way of doing it that I hadn't thought off LOL..

The state of some of the water jumps round here you would NOT want to fall in, I'd imagine dysentry would be in order!