waterford gags

Casey76

Visit site
Well I quite like the Waterford snaffle, when used in the correct setting. I’ve used it a few times on young horses who dive/lean on the bit and just need to stop sitting on it. The mouthpiece stops them nicely and I only need to use it a couple of times at home doing basic schooling so they learn not to grab hold and lean. It’s not used as a method to stop them but to not allow them to lean. They then get put back into their French link and we carry on as normal.

I’m not keen on the idea of a Waterford gag though, I can’t think of a situation where I would need it on any young horse.

That’s because it bloody well hurts! A wart3rford is the very last mouthpiece you want to use on a youngster. If they are leaning on the bit, they need to be mouthed properly, not have their mouths abused!

only_me

Visit site
That’s because it bloody well hurts! A wart3rford is the very last mouthpiece you want to use on a youngster. If they are leaning on the bit, they need to be mouthed properly, not have their mouths abused!

Not sure what hurts more, someone consistently hauling on their mouths in a eggbut snaffle or a couple of sessions with a Waterford and then back to their standard snaffle. You don’t back a horse or mouth it with a Waterford 🤦‍♀️
The word abused is often abused itself.
I ride by feel and know when the horse needs a little more or little less and if they object strongly to the Waterford then they didn’t need to have it in the first place! And I’m pleased to say I have good hands so am in very good control of what I ask for with the bit. A big horse learning to stretch over its back long/low can not help themselves from falling forward, they don’t have the strength/ability to hold themselves up but sometimes using a Waterford a couple of times further into training can help them to not throw their head into the sand and encourage them to try using themselves.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not sure what hurts more, someone consistently hauling on their mouths in a eggbut snaffle or a couple of sessions with a Waterford and then back to their standard snaffle. You don’t back a horse or mouth it with a Waterford 🤦‍♀️
The word abused is often abused itself.
I ride by feel and know when the horse needs a little more or little less and if they object strongly to the Waterford then they didn’t need to have it in the first place! And I’m pleased to say I have good hands so am in very good control of what I ask for with the bit. A big horse learning to stretch over its back long/low can not help themselves from falling forward, they don’t have the strength/ability to hold themselves up but sometimes using a Waterford a couple of times further into training can help them to not throw their head into the sand and encourage them to try using themselves.

Sorry, but no: that is not proper training. If a horse doesn't know what the aids through the rein are after initial training, then the trainer is not doing his/her job. Can not help themselves falling forward? Of course they can! If the rider is asking within the horse's ability. You say you have good hands: how do you know that?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sorry, but no: that is not proper training. If a horse doesn't know what the aids through the rein are after initial training, then the trainer is not doing his/her job. Can not help themselves falling forward? Of course they can! If the rider is asking within the horse's ability. You say you have good hands: how do you know that?

Yes yes and yes... a big horse needs time to balance itself and needs to work within a frame it’s able to maintain - how does a Waterford improve this? By making it painful to make a mistake? It’s the only way I can see it working.. strong bits work because they need less force to make a bigger impact but what a young horse needs is you to be able to leave it’s mouth alone - so by using a Waterford where a tiny movement causes a big effect you are making this more difficult for yourself not easier.