Watery eyes & cough

lil85

Visit site
I have the vet coming out but wanted to see what the general consensus was of peoples experience with this...

I have a 15yo mare, good doer, irish pony, 14.2hh, semi retired due to ligament injury, lives at grass. Over the last 8 months her eyes have started to stream on and off. I'd say it started at the end of last summer but it was intermittent so I didn't worry about it.

But now its constant, other days worse than others plus she's now developed a bit of a cough.

Her teeth haven't been done for a while and are due so I will get that done...

I can't think whats causing it. It doesn't look nice. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all, she's still really lively and keen on food etc...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You are best led by your vet obviously, but I would think a cushing test would be advisable. Hope all goes well for you.

lil85

Visit site
So the vet came....

She said either Cushings or COPD but will need to test for a firm diagnosis.

She's thinking more COPD as she's coughing, watery eyed and has crackly lung sound and slightly increased respiration rate.

She's administered steroid for her eyes as they are clearly irritated and ventapaulin to clear her lungs...

swellhillcottage

Visit site
My 14.2 gets watery eyes with more than 2 hours grazing - he has done this in the 2 years I have owned him in his 4 year old year he did used to cough as well but that seems to have abated - its probably something to do with his grass/sugar issue - I had him on a dry lot throughout winter and his eyes were fine - reintroduced grass turnout slowly a few weeks ago and within 2 hours his eyes started weeping which I agree doesn't look nice :( - this is just another thing on the issue list with my neddie :( which are all probably related but know one has made the connection yet.
Hope yours gets sorted.