Watery eyes

Kelly1982

Visit site
Any ideas how to stop them?

My boys eyes are watering really bad at the mo. I clean them every morning and night, have used eye balm which helped a bit but not much. Then someone suggested tea bags so I've been cleaning his eyes with these for the last few days which has reduced it by half but still hasn't stopped them or reduced it enough.

Any ideas before I call the vet??

katie_southwest

Visit site
I find if I pop a fly mask on for a couple of days my mares watery eye goes away , it's usually flies that make hers sore or watery :)

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
Have you tried a good fly mask such as the equilibrium midi,my mare has a similar problem and the mask really helps.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yep his eyes just make the fly mask soggy :0(

I just brought a premier equine one as my mare wore one all last summer with no issues but maybe this doesn't suit him as well as it did her

indie999

Visit site
When it rains I take a fly mask off and yes those pesky flies do nibble and I end up with runny eyed horse.But the pollen is quite bad too....you could put a little bit of vaseline around them (as long as he isnt out in the sun etc dont want him getting burned) But if its under a fly mask then do it. The mesh holes or no holes are different. One of my more expensive masks virtually blinds my horse very black and close knit holes, but it does work.The other cheapie one has a very fine mesh and is a lot lighter. So def try a mask as has been recommended. I have bought eye drops before from the chemist ie some optrex to help soothe etc. But agree if its bothering your horse and nothing is working ask the vet for a check up. My boy has had conjunctivitis before ......again you can buy chloramphenicol drops but will have to make out they are for human use ..depends if you have a nice chemist. I have encountered some that dont ask and others who refused when I stupid me mentioned for horse!!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thanks that's very helpful, someone also suggested hayfever tablets in his feed bit I was reluctant to try this

indie999

Visit site
If you get some piriton that would be best side effects humans drowsiness but some of the other standard hayfever tablets cause aggression in humans!

But Piriton is really your good old fashioned antihistamine. Tesco own brand is usually cheapest.