Wax jacket

1rocky1

Visit site
Hi wots your guys dealings with wax jackets these days not had one sine last Barber 20 odd years ago does anyone bother with them now ? Regards r.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Yep.

I have a Long Biker that I wear for the first ten or fifteen minutes of class warm-up when it's rainy and the temperature is below about 12°C, then I need to take it off because I'm that hot.

I have another, similar, Barbour that I wear to go to work in rainy or cold weather, and a green jacket with a game pocket in the back and a zip-in liner for really cold weather (can't rmember the model, but I think it's the name of a town up in Northumberland).

Then I have a long drover's coat, not Barbour but made in the UK; unlined, so quite a bit cooler than the Barbour coats.

I much prefer waxed cotton to synthetic fibre raincoats.

Boulty

Visit site
I've got a Rydale one that I've had for about 5 years or so now. The best thing for riding in the peeing it down rain in as it just doesn't leak, like ever and it's windproof too. Sadly half the time I don't realise I'm going to get caught in a downpour in advance and I always curse not having that jacket with me if I'm away somewhere in the lorry & have to ride in the rain! I've got a selection of more "normal" coats and all of them leak eventually and they just aren't quite as windproof either. My only regret is buying one without a hood which gets a bit annoying when not riding

Shay

Visit site
Driz-a-bone (and australian make but available in the UK) are better to ride in now. Barbours are great but have gone a bit more fashion able than practical.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Was thinking about this the other day. My Driz-a-bone was great but now needs reproofing. Once upon a time I would have used brush on rug-proofer (repel?), but can't seem to find any. What do people use these days to re-wax jackets?