We are still alive - just!!

star

Visit site
Been a bit quiet recently but it has been rather a stressful, worrying time. Our first run of the season at Moreton ended after the SJ when he ballooned a fence so big it put my back out which has been niggling at me since a heavy fall in January. No way could I go XC. Then poor Monts managed to get kicked on the stifle in the field a few days later.

Photo0333.jpg

A nasty deep cut all the way through his muscle and right over his tibial crest. He was very sore and of course it was a Friday night so one emergency vet visit later (panic stations - definitely beyond my small animal vet knowledge this one - have had 2 friends with horses break their tibial crests from kicks so not a risk I was about to take)

All stapled up but pretty swollen:
20150314_120624.jpg

A week on box rest and then xrays which showed a little cluster of spiky bone fragments just in front of his tibial crest:
254157_7.jpg

Cue another very worrying week of box rest as we were all still worried about a hairline fracture to his tibia given he'd been kicked hard enough to splinter the periosteum. The wound appeared to heal well and he came sound and off all medication. Thankfully second set of xrays showed no fractures and the bone fragments were softening and looking like they should resorb.
255579_6.jpg

Pony could go back in the field and got the all clear to go back to work. One quiet week then a gradual increase in work. A quick pop over some XC fences - very happy boy pulled my arms out:
Screenshot_2015-04-06-12-46-16-1.png

And onwards to SOE BE100 today. Planned to let him tell me if he'd had enough at any stage but he was absolutely on form and felt the best he has in a long time. He was 5th after dressage and jumped a fab double clear with some time faults XC pushing us down to 9th. Looks like an unplanned missed month of training just before Badminton possibly wasn't the disaster I thought it might be.

check out this little face - isn't he just so adorable:
SOE_0803_193%2BMARMALADE%2BMONTY%2BHolehouse%2C%2BNicola.JPG

Full blog here:
http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/south-of-england-be100-11-04-15.html

Last edited:

monte1

Visit site
Well Done, glad to hear he back on track after his injury and looking fabulous, can't wait to hear all about you both at badders this year :)

rising_promise

Visit site
Phew!

Been following on #TE on Facebook and glad to see you finally got a pre Badders run after the injury, bit of a relief!

I can't see the vids, says they're private?

j1ffy

Visit site
Phew, what a scare! I was very worried when I opened the thread and saw that pic, even as a forum reader it's a relief to read that you're out competing again so I can only imagine what you went through!! Fingers crossed for a smooth run-up to Badders now.

forelegs

Visit site
Also been following your progress on TE, glad he's back to his best and sounds a really promising run - looked a meaty 100 to me!

Dusty85

Visit site
Well done, super result after all that's happened recently.
Good luck for Badminton!! I'm annoyingly working all weekend of Big badminton so I'm planning on going for a grassroots day as its only 15 mins away. I'll keep an eye out!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What a relief to have him back on form after all that stress and worry. Hope the rest of your prep goes smoothly :)