We breed some lovely geldings in this country and then leave their balls on.......

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I watched the online stallion show yesterday. In between dying of boredom I noticed a lot of lovely should be geldings.

It really seems to be the vogue now to have a stallion....... The AES should be shot for some that passed their gradings with conformation faults.

LEC

www.youtube.com
I suppose the benefit of watching it back on video is that there will hopefully be a fast forward function ?

and freeze frame some of the amazing specimens........

At least Matthew Wright will compete his stallions and get them out when they are the right age. They are everything they should be - Well produced, not protected, great breeding and well put together aka shouldn't be a gelding.

LEC

www.youtube.com
I don’t follow the stallion shows. Are there any particular conformation faults which seem to sneak in past the graders?

Two looked like a relation of a camel. One didn't have straight limbs and two were incredibly straight behind. Its tricky as the pony stallion I liked had no breeding on the damline. But he was a super cool little pony with great jump, great step and out there doing the job well.

ihatework

Visit site
and freeze frame some of the amazing specimens........

At least Matthew Wright will compete his stallions and get them out when they are the right age. They are everything they should be - Well produced, not protected, great breeding and well put together.

And likely to go beyond middle of the section in a Novice!!

LEC

www.youtube.com
I think they also need a section for natives / allrounders, these currently get lumped in with the eventers. But some have merit as stallions, they just aren’t UL performance horses

This is where the SHB society has done a shite job. The loss of the HIS was a big loss as the TBs are also victims in this. They should also be pulled out. Not enough is done to talk about what a nice horse you will get if you cross a nice TB to a draught type mare. We get caught up in other stuff instead and the TB is never going to have the performance record and racing wise its meaningless to a lot of people if they have won over 6f or a group 1 at 1m2f.

We have far too many studbooks in this country but I agree British Breeding need to pull out competition vs leisure horse. Problem is everyone thinks they want a competition horse.

LEC

www.youtube.com
The Same can go for mares.

Yes, but mares are only able to put one offspring on the ground a year. Some of these could have hundreds of offspring.

Kayf Tara is a TB racing stallion - notorious for wonky front legs. I have seen a few over the years. Racing they dont care as long as they produce the £££ either winning or sales and they are not graded by so called experts on conformation as its all about ££££. It matters for competition horses, people moan enough at broken horses.....

TheMule

Visit site
I think they also need a section for natives / allrounders, these currently get lumped in with the eventers. But some have merit as stallions, they just aren’t UL performance horses

Totally agree- if they had an all rounder section it would give a much better viewing place for a lot of what was presented as ‘eventers'

Stallions should be the very best. No problem if that’s the very best riding club all rounder (good conformation is a must still), but they should be out there doing it and proving themselves.

tristar

Visit site
i thought stallions over 6 years in shgb have to have a competition record, well they did when i was going to put one forwards for grading

TheMule

Visit site
i thought stallions over 6 years in shgb have to have a competition record, well they did when i was going to put one forwards for grading

All manner of ways to get a stallion graded now- private gradings, remote gradings even. It's beyond a joke- huge scores given for really very ordinary horses. AES apparently doesn’t even DNA verify their breeding. I would not take any grading result in this country seriously.

tristar

Visit site
well you cant argue with a comp record

in the end i licenced mine with ahs gb who do dna

and performance tested him myself so i knew what he was made of, before breeding from him, the haras nationale in france wanted his first foal, guess what for ,`` a stallion``, but it was not for sale, he`s still flying it at 20,

Asha

Visit site
This is where the SHB society has done a shite job. The loss of the HIS was a big loss as the TBs are also victims in this. They should also be pulled out. Not enough is done to talk about what a nice horse you will get if you cross a nice TB to a draught type mare. We get caught up in other stuff instead and the TB is never going to have the performance record and racing wise its meaningless to a lot of people if they have won over 6f or a group 1 at 1m2f.

We have far too many studbooks in this country but I agree British Breeding need to pull out competition vs leisure horse. Problem is everyone thinks they want a competition horse.

couldn’t agree more . I’ve been looking at both ID and TB stallions to try and work out a plan for a couple of mares . I’d love a system where the stallion grading marks are published . ( a bit like the ID ones are in Ireland)

rara007

Visit site
Just went to watch it skipping through a lot to see what you are on about. To be honest eventing breeding isn’t my ‘thing’ but I was quite shocked by a few! So many in the category of average horse (IMO) trying to sell themselves as a sports horse sire.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Just went to watch it skipping through a lot to see what you are on about. To be honest eventing breeding isn’t my ‘thing’ but I was quite shocked by a few! So many in the category of average horse (IMO) trying to sell themselves as a sports horse sire.
I signed up but missed it, where can you re watch it?

windand rain

Visit site
My mantra when breeding was "every good stallion makes a better gelding" that said in rare breeds it is genotype thats important not phenotype although good conformation should be the first consideration. We gelded all welsh colts as they are 10 a penny but fortunately have only had filly foals from the Highlands as running on a colt is hard work and needs the right place for them to be

LEC

www.youtube.com

The show jumpers were a lot better - much more performance orientated. A couple really stood out.

ihatework

Visit site

Pretty dire huh! I was sat there thinking my gelding (who is most definitely not stallion quality) would have more merit entire than a handful of those presented. Just baffling.

I’m going to watch the SJ’ers this weekend

LEC

www.youtube.com
Pretty dire huh! I was sat there thinking my gelding (who is most definitely not stallion quality) would have more merit entire than a handful of those presented. Just baffling.

I’m going to watch the SJ’ers this weekend

Anything remotely dire is graded by AES. Seems to now become money orientated rather than actual quality. I appreciate SHGB is a ridiculous society but they do at least hold some basic standards. No wonder continental is so strong.

rara007

Visit site
I’m looking forwards to the dressage. Semi window shopping for sperm for my little mare but again a lot of the British based stallions I’ve seen advertised so far don’t have a patch on her...!

Marigold4

Visit site
Two looked like a relation of a camel. One didn't have straight limbs and two were incredibly straight behind. Its tricky as the pony stallion I liked had no breeding on the damline. But he was a super cool little pony with great jump, great step and out there doing the job well.
Just out of interest, who was the pony stallion?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Are some of these stallions double dilutes? I've seen a couple come up on facebook recently that apart from being a flashy colour don't seem to have that much to offer (i.e. no competitive record, ok but not amazing paces, ok but not amazing confirmation) and were graded by the AES.

I got the feeling that had they been e.g. bay, they would have been gelded.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Are some of these stallions double dilutes? I've seen a couple come up on facebook recently that apart from being a flashy colour don't seem to have that much to offer (i.e. no competitive record, ok but not amazing paces, ok but not amazing confirmation) and were graded by the AES.

I got the feeling that had they been e.g. bay, they would have been gelded.

As IHW and The Mule know - nothing ? me quicker than people breeding for colour.