We BREXITED the aged Cleveland Bay mare last week

Rollin

Visit site
We finally did it. Some people saw my post explaining the difficulty we were having with just about everything!! A vet who would do the DEFRA paper work a transporter. We always do cross channel ourselves but wanted her shipped from Stafford to south for collection. Thank you Laafet and other people on this forum who helped us.

We had issued the paperworkt to Carlisle once and had to cancel it after a transporter told us they could no longer bring her south. In the end my husband and a friend collected her last Wednesday. She left at 4.00pm, was on the ferry at 11.00pm and here before 9.00am the following morning.

This 20 year old mare is dam to one of my Cleveland Bay mares and we are her 8th and last home. After suitable isolation worming and a temp. check we put her out with her daughter, who she had not seen for 15 years. After 'mum' had explored the paddock boundaries they approached each other with caution, talking to each other. Mum sniffed her daughter very carefully then started to lick her. They are so happy together and we are so happy this old lady won't move house again. She is such a lovely mare.

I cannot seem to reduce photos for this forum but pics of them both on RaceRare and Cleveland Bay Open Forum FB pages.

Reacher

Visit site
Absolutely lovely story, I am so happy for her.

As a complete random aside, my late horse of a lifetime, Khami was supposedly part CB though we have no proof of it. He was probably foaled in 1970s in NE England and we were told his sire was called Ramadon. Not sure of spelling.
I wish I could find out more. I wish even more I could have him back! I’ve had a soft spot for CBs ever since

Rollin

Visit site
Reacher that is how I started. I bought a 15 year old driving horse in 1995 and was sure he was a part-bred CB and was determined to own one one day. I too could find nothing of his breeding - if you have a good idea of the stud book name of a CB in the pedigree there is more chance of finding out with DNA. DNA does not work for unknown, sadly. I still have hair from my old boy in the hope one day I will trace his breeding.

Shady

Visit site
That's so lovely Rollin:)
I sent your details to my sister in law as she has a IDXCB gelding and was very interested in your horses as she loves CB's .Hers is 28 now but was a police horse when she bought him off the Met. He was way too smart for the job and used to get bored and start picking up cones and throwing them around. Total embarrassment so he went home with her one day. Amazing horse, I mostly learnt to ride on him.
She thought your Arabs were beautiful too, as of course do I !!!. x

Rollin

Visit site
The Cone throwing has me in stitches. My first old boy, who we thought was a part-bred used to run off with our coats if we took them off when poo picking or moving fencing. I have also watched him drop hay onto the temp. electric fence to check if it was live - if not then the grass is always greener. There is a member of the CB Open Forum who is ex-mounted police, he too had a Cleveland Bay which would do anything jump while he held a skipping rope. Pull a carriage for Santa Claus.

Shady

Visit site
The Cone throwing has me in stitches. My first old boy, who we thought was a part-bred used to run off with our coats if we took them off when poo picking or moving fencing. I have also watched him drop hay onto the temp. electric fence to check if it was live - if not then the grass is always greener. There is a member of the CB Open Forum who is ex-mounted police, he too had a Cleveland Bay which would do anything jump while he held a skipping rope. Pull a carriage for Santa Claus.
Wow!!!!!!:):D
Hers also used to walk along railway sleepers like a tightrope . The Met just despaired of him and nobody wanted to ride him except my SIL, she just adored him and he now lives as part of a herd in a wonderful retirement livery in Devon. I understand that he is the boss of it!

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you, we already are. She saw me walk down to the yard this evening and was at the gate. Cleveland Bays need minimal training on the feed routine.

chaps89

Visit site
I saw your original thread and it's so good to see this thread, what a lovely update. She's a lucky old girl whose landed on her feet :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, lovely story, I'm so glad you managed to get her back. They look very happy. I would love a CB one day 😍

Reacher

Visit site
Reacher that is how I started. I bought a 15 year old driving horse in 1995 and was sure he was a part-bred CB and was determined to own one one day. I too could find nothing of his breeding - if you have a good idea of the stud book name of a CB in the pedigree there is more chance of finding out with DNA. DNA does not work for unknown, sadly. I still have hair from my old boy in the hope one day I will trace his breeding.
I have some hair too! I guess I can’t just search an online stud book for his sire?
Photos of yours out in the sun are lovely. I wonder if she recognised her daughter

Rollin

Visit site
Sadly only available to members on line. Write to the society and see if someone can help you. Send as much information as possible, year of foaling, where born, names of pervious owners.

We think they did know each other. You cannot see in the photos but they are talking to each other before they started sniffing licking and grooming. A sort of "Where have you been all these years?"