we did it! first ridden pics!

Allie5

Visit site
Today was D day for Tommy as the planets aligned and I had my nice lightweight quiet riding friend around. So my boy was officially "backed" today!*
To be honest it was a total non event! He walked back a little when she first lay over him but I had her slide gently off and re presented him at the block. She lay over him both standing and walking about 10 times before actually sitting on him. The first few times I had her stay low then slide off. Rinse and repeat until he was walking calmly and happily beside me with a rider on board!!
Im so proud of my little man! He was more interested in chewing L's boots, eating the fence, snacking on the grass at the gate than being worried! I could tell from his ears and eyes that he knew she was up there but he just took it all in his stride!*:wub:*my boy! Its my turn in a few weeks as I just want to consolidate this stage while Im still on the ground to reassure him.
Some pics (lots of very odd looking ones I have to say as he didn't want to stand still and kept trying to follow me! I also realise looking back at a few that he was at risk of getting his lunge rope caught on a wheelbarrow but we moved away from there as soon as I noticed!)

Allie5

Visit site
Damn phone!!
Here's the pics

2012-10-04123930.jpg

2012-10-04123651.jpg

2012-10-04123801.jpg

indie999

Visit site
Well done what a lovely looking horse, seems to find it all amusingly boring....wheres the food. Onwards and upwards. Good luck on your turn, am sure it will go fine. Nice pics.

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha look at that wild beast he obviously put up a real fight! I was trying to explain to my OH that this is what backing a horse is supposed to be like, not like the rodeo style he imagines!

Allie5

Visit site
Thanks guys! I will admit to a little lump in my throat yesterday! I've owned Tommy since he was 6 months old and he's lived with me since his first birthday. I've done absolutely everything with him and Im so proud that he trusted me enough to let someone on his back. And so calmly! I knew he was a laidback little soul but he was just awesome!

mastermax

Visit site
Fantastic result, well done. Mine was a HUGE event today, saddle on and lunging beautifully, can shake rattle and roll saddle, bang up and down, pull stirrups over and let them flop....NOTHING, so we thought I should try lying over her, she is 4.5 yrs now. Well she allowed me to lie over and then my instructor asked her to move forward and she shot 10 foot in the air and 10 foot forward and I catapulted 10 foot out to the side. Wet muddy landing. We are going back to basics and will put our weighted bags over her now to see her reaction, better this then someone getting hurt.
Good luck when you get on next week

Allie5

Visit site
Pinkatc sorry he's staying!
Mastermax that sounds like a nasty landing! Im pretty sure I will eventually find something that either worries him or he objects to! Who knows, maybe the next time we go to get on he'll say no thank you very much!