We did it!! Selected for the Regionals!!

Four Seasons

Visit site
I couldn't be any happier!!:D:D:D

Yesterday we went off to the local championships, to see if we could get selected for the regionals! We did the first selection and we got fourth, twice, just outside the top 3. The top 3 are allowed to go to the regionals. We only had one more chance to try and get selected. I knew it was all or nothing...

Started the warm-up, she was so relaxed and soft, very much enjoyable, as she isn't like this as competitions at all... because of my own nerves! I had quite a dosage of calming drugs, so I would at least be able to feel my legs and hands when riding. My competitions nerves are so annoying...

Warmed her up nicely, going relaxed, supple and calm. Everything was very much going how I wanted it... she was just a tad too fast, as in reacting to my aids like lightning. Nothing new....
I heard that every single horse was spooking at the sun rays going through the roof or at the door, but Breitlingh isn't really that much of a spooker, so wasn't that worried. She didn't look at a thing, the only thing she has caught her eye on was the little white fences.;)

First test she was a bit too hot and fresh, responding very much like lightning. Could manage through-out the test, but the sitting trot was very bouncy! Got plenty of sevens, that usually would be eights, but also got some sixes and fives. I sometimes forget to ride and that lets us down... silly stuff, like preparing the movement more or not relaxing enough. We still got 65% in the first test! Very pleased with that! Even got a comment that one of the halts were perfects (still only got a seven, very strict!!). The judge saw it spot on though, he made a comment that I need to keep more control, as Breitlingh tends to take over sometimes, very true!

Second test, she felt much more relaxed, let me sit more. Could really work with her, without any panic attacks or fleeing as if her bottom had just been smacked. Again, plenty of sevens... it was just an average test... we can do better, but it all in the game trying to show it at competitions! We got 64,67% and a second place! Overall we came third..... SO WE'RE OFF TO THE REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::c ool::cool:

The judge did make the comment that Breitlingh needs to be more consistent in her outline. Sometimes it "flows" and the she will be a bit stiff and come up against the bit a few times. Very much aware of this, if I even want to have a chance to become regional champion, this is something we need to work on, hard!

And on Friday I was announced as Dressage Rider of the Year at my riding club! :cool: How cool is that?!! Everyone was joking that they now have to call me "Your dressage majesty" lol

Here are some training pics, competition pics and a vid of the second test!

4.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

SAM_2290.jpg

SAM_2293.jpg

SAM_2292.jpg

Extended trot
SAM_2296.jpg

[video=youtube;ZEhncZysVBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEhncZysVBg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

CC is very welcome! Any tips and advice on making the contact more consistent or competition tips are gladly taken!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Congratulations!!! What brilliant news...you should be very proud of yourself, particularly as I know she hasn't been an easy horse.

No CC from me...I struggle to get over 60% in a prelim at the moment.

kc100

Visit site
Congratulations - fantastic news and you both look great! Love the 'dressage rider of the year' as well, you should make everyone start bowing when you enter a room ;)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
As far as test riding goes-rise, she goes very tight and tense when you sit as she just isn't strong enough.

The canter is still a bit scarey, does she do walk/ canter/ walk? IMO she needs to work on very quiet, very small, very un-impressive walk/canter/walk until she can balance over the hind leg better and then the trot/canter will be easier. I, personally, wouldn't do tests incl medium canter yet as it just panics her in to rushing.

The basic trot and canter do look much more secure, now it's time to dot the I's and cross the t's.

Well done :)

spookypony

Visit site
Congrats, and good luck at your Regionals! :)

Pince33Sp4rkle, from what I understood of the test being read out, the sitting trot was part of that test and thus hard to avoid (though of course that doesn't invalidate your comment), and there wasn't any medium canter...perhaps I misheard?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Didn't have sound on so apologies if that's the case :) she just absolutely shot off in the first canter circle, so if not medium canter then def more work needed on the balance/ relaxation.

Would stick to tests that allow rising until everything incl the canter is ultra relaxed in the ring as she so obviously gets upset by it and gets very tight.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I ponder whether she gets more tense/head unsteady in the sitting trot because she is half anticipating you might ask for a canter transition (which is obviously still a bit of a major occurrence ;) ).

Well done :) she is lovely.

Four Seasons

Visit site
I am answering on my phone, so I hope this makes sense.

In Holland you can't xhoose which level or test you ride. I started in the B, which I think is prelim in the uk. I kept getting over 67%. 60% is one point, 65% is two. You can reach amaximum of 30 points and then you have to move up a level, that was my case. I can't move down a level, wish I could. I have to stay at this level for now. Got 11 points so far.

The canter is still very edgy, especialy in the test, she expects it. Canter-walk she can do. Walk-canter she gets too stressed and goes up. Any tips for that? She can do a perfect canter pirouette though, lol.

Thanks everyone! Got some weeks to practise, hoping we'll reach 67-68% the next time.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
its only the same as in the UK then when you do get pushed out by points. But you dont have to compete, you can work on it at home until its old hat and then in the ring she wont panic so much.

generally, you just need to work on the relaxation and swing over the back and submission in the contact so that in the walk you can keep her deep and soft and swinging along. dont expect perfect walk to canters just accept whatever fumble she offers initially so that she doesnt feel too contained or stressed.

you can see in the vid that even when the canter is short and probably feels collected she's running through the bridle and hollowing her back-if you gave away the reins she would go racing off, thus not truly over the hind leg in collection/self carrige.

IMO, and it is only that, she needs to go back a few steps and work on all this before even thinking about pirouettes etc, you should be able to give and re-take the rein in the piri canter too and she should stay soft and on her hind legs.

i dont want to sound harsh but there is no point going up the levels *just because* when she is so obviously so tense. No one expects perfection in the ring but she's obviously very worried-can you go HC and rise until she isnt anticpating/worrying about the canter?

Four Seasons

Visit site
At home she does perfect transitions to canter and she can relax and I can get her stretching and calm, but thats in a 20x60 arena and I'm always alone, and theres no competition stress. Add 3-4 horses warming-up, me a bit stressy, then the walk-trot goes fine and I start to worry about canter, which is very wrong and definitely my mistake.

I see exactly what you mean. She hollows and isn't really accepting it. The weird thing is, the canter piri's she does perfect, I can give and retake the reins and she has perfect self-carriage. I have the feeling her canter is too powerful for her? She can't control is or something? So the walk-canter transitions will help her collect more and create more self-carriage? Sorry to ask so many questions, just really want to improve and my Fjord was so easy compared to this hot-fizz-zing mare, haha!

I'm not going up because I have to, but in the B (prelim in UK, I think) she did everything perfect and was so relaxed. So thought, lets have a challenge and try L1, not much difference, just leg-yield and medium canter.

I must say, the medium canter in this video is nothing compared to what she can do, when I allow her. Usually I would give her more length so she can really stretch into the contact and extend the canter, but in the test I just can't do it....

And be harsh! I can take it! Anything to make me a beter rider!