We did it ! weve gone barefoot

Asha

Visit site
No reason for this post, other than I'm chuffed to bits , and wanted to share.

I thought my lad was a bit uncomfortable, he was never lame. Just a bit grumpy. So in the summer, we took his shoes off, and changed his diet. He had some time off ( due to my work) Brought back into work, and had his first outing today since the summer.

He was so excited when he saw the horsebox, and literally jumped on. At the show he was his usual composed self.

He showed us that barefoot is no problem, and jumped a double clear in the 1.05m, ( came second but it was a small class) We all agreed, he looked so much more free and loose.

attachment.php

hes so much happier in himself.

thanks for reading !

ponyparty

Visit site
Well done! Lovely to hear a success story. I'm just in the transition phase with mine - took his shoes off on Tuesday. Hoping this will work out to be the right choice for him!

Asha

Visit site
Well done! Lovely to hear a success story. I'm just in the transition phase with mine - took his shoes off on Tuesday. Hoping this will work out to be the right choice for him!

Great time of year to start while the ground is soft ! We had a few days where he was a bit footy , but he soon overcame it. Good luck with yours x

ponyparty

Visit site
Great time of year to start while the ground is soft ! We had a few days where he was a bit footy , but he soon overcame it. Good luck with yours x

Thank you! He is footy - was very much so on Thursday/Friday - but today is much better. I'm sure it won't all be plain sailing, but am glad he's more comfortable now. Can't wait to bring him back into work! He was going so nicely just before i had the shoes pulled - hopefully it won't be too long before I can start working him in the arena at least :)
Keep the updates coming, I keep looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing so it fills me with hope when i see a post like this! x

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've taken my horses fronts off (not shod behind for some time) for a winter holiday whilst I'm not riding them but I plan to see how they go BF. Thanks for sharing :)

Shady

Visit site
Good for you and i'm very glad your horse is happy :). I can't imagine ever putting shoes on my horse and i ride for hours over seriously challenging ground. I don't boot him and apart from one abscess due to a blackthorn, he's never gone lame from being BF . I do give a large percentage of straw in his diet too which i personally believe helps and a good amount of salt. The more you do over time , the more your horse will be able to do , you just build on it slowly and before long you won't even think about it or whether he can or can't go somewhere, you just do it !

Asha

Visit site
Thanks for your comments . It took some time to get him completely right, he was fine straight away on his hinds, took about a month for his left fore and then another month for his right fore ( it’s a bit boxy) . With going barefoot and changing his diet the difference really is quite incredible . He happily puts on his bridle and isn’t ‘gobby’ When doing flatwork . Next step is to move some of the others and see how they get on .

Shady - you are spot on , the more you do the better ! We started on flatwork and now he happily jumps . He’s fine on crunchy stones as well now. Straw is an interesting one , will bear that in mind. Mine are all on Alfa A , kalm and easy and protexin .

Also, the boxy one , looks less boxy than it used too as well