We have a new addition!!!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Meet our new baby!!!

He's by a Clydesdale stallion, out of a Thb x Boerperd mare. He's straight off the "veld" and unhandled. We haven't named him yet, although our groom keeps calling him Dippy (?) and I'm worried it will stick! Any suggestions welcome.

Also, did not realise how hard it would be to get a foal to stand for photos!

image_zpsef79c480.jpg

image_zps61ba7b05.jpg

image_zps061e1a7f.jpg

image_zpsf33ef47e.jpg

Happy Hunter

Visit site
You could always try and shorten it to 'Dips'
I used to have a pony called Pippy, she was perfect in every way - wouldn't trot for love nor money, but seeing as I was 4yrs old, i didn't mind!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Awww, thanks everyone! I'm SO excited! OH meets the little guy tomorrow morning so I hope he's as smitten as I am.

Sire is 18hh and dam is around 16hh so he's going to be quite a hefty chap. I can just imagine OH riding a great big monster of a horse called... Dippy.

But yes, probably likely to stick.

Weather was pretty warm on the farm, it's up to 35' so he's got his water and hay and the rest of the day to relax in the shade. It's supposed to be 38' tomorrow so we'd better get an early start!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I think he s lovely and ....Im going to go against the flow here...Dippy suits him now but a mature filled out fella...? He needs a name to grow into...but Im stumped as to what. I think you need to discover his personality over the next few days/weeks and a name will emerge (am going to duck and run for cover now)

Pippity

Visit site
I think he s lovely and ....Im going to go against the flow here...Dippy suits him now but a mature filled out fella...? He needs a name to grow into...but Im stumped as to what. I think you need to discover his personality over the next few days/weeks and a name will emerge (am going to duck and run for cover now)

Dippy for everyday; Magnum for Sunday best.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We had a great morning with the little chap. OH was a bit miffed to be kicked out of bed at 5am on a Saturday but perked up immediately when he saw foal.

image_zps400523ff.jpg

He's such a bizarre little creature. He's still not so sure about these human things. However, if you call him, he comes bouncing over at high speed and then stops dead in front of you snorting. Tragically, he already thinks his name is Dippy!

I've put Stormy in the adjacent pen for today and they seem to be getting on well. She has absolutely perfect manners on the ground and loves people. I hope it rubs off. I spent the morning grooming her and feeding her treats. Foal was very curious.

image_zps48b3a9bf.jpg

Yesterday he wasn't keen to be touched but after about 4 hours of coaxing, he is happy to nuzzle up to you or have his nose stroked. OH spent all morning trying to feed him a carrot which was a highly unsuccessful endeavor. Stormy felt the need to help with this.

image_zps0c226f67.jpg

He eats... like a horse. He's going through piles of hay. We haven't given him anything else yet and we'll see how he goes. He's never had any feed in his life and he's a bit stressed without mum and in a new place. I don't want to overwhelm his digestive system too.

So at the moment I am doing the following:
Out 24 hours in small pen- shady area.
Eating hay, no feed.
Intermittent company of well-behaved horse.
He's in our vet/box rest pens so has constant company of a cow with a cut on her leg and an orphaned calf which is being hand-reared. Busy area of yard in terms of human activity.
Not pushing the contact issue but tacking up/grooming/fussing over companion horse in adjacent pen every few hours.
Leaving OH to spend hours chatting to him aimlessly.

Any advice on how we can improve things is welcome.

Oh and then it got very hot so OH and I headed for the beach...

image_zps950d5164.jpg

image_zps6cdb0ebc.jpg