We have come a long way (very long laminitis post with pictures)

RubysGold

Visit site
Roo got laminitis in January and I am just so grateful that she is still here. I just wanted to share our story so far

This was the day the vet first came, a sunday. I got to the yard and Roo would not step off her bedding, she wouldn't move a single foot outside of the stable when the vet came. She took bloods for cushings test, wrapped up her feet and gave me instructions on how to manage her for the following week (I put in the shavings that I had stored in the yard and then went for more to make a nice big bed)
DSC_0242_zpswpdni5kr.jpg

At first everything went well, soaking hay, big bed, box rest, bute
DSC_0244_zpseguqbz74.jpg

We found out she had cushings and we started the medication for that. She had xrays done that showed no rotation

Roo got very poorly very quickly. It was horrible, she wouldn't eat or drink a thing and she wouldn't move a step. She looked so depressed and I had the vet out again and again, asking for more pain killing injections, more advice, anything they could give her. Nothing was helping. She didn't eat or drink for 2-3 weeks, the only thing I could get into her was fast fibre, but after a few days she wouldn't touch that, so she started having hifi lite. A few buckets a day and as much water in them as possible to get something into her.

I went to the yard to find massive lumps on Roos stomach, and her urine went red. I rang the vets, I knew this was bad and I waited for the vet thinking she would pts :(
The lumps were Oedema, blood was taken to check her kidney/protein levels. (They were very low) I was told to stop all bute, within a couple of days Roo perked up and started slowly to eat small amounts of food. The vet says she has only seen a couple of reactions to bute like this one, we think she was just so poorly and so dehydrated in the end that the bute was overloading her system
DSC_0274_zpsoyaqwkqr.jpg

DSC_0275_zpsr5kjrara.jpg

For weeks and weeks, I had to put soaked hay in big tub trugs and mix the hifi lite into it to get her to nibble some of the hay, but she really did not want to eat a thing. Mostly it just resulted in hay kicked all over the stable while she searched for the chop. It was heartbreaking.
DSC_0259_zpstfr07wep.jpg

DSC_0261_zps0f0gdy4d.jpg

DSC_0279_zps76cbhddh.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsummkths8.jpg

The Oedema took a good couple of weeks to go down, one day I went to the yard to find her legs were completely full and solid as blocks of wood. But the vet had told me that as the oedema softened it would travel down the legs before going
DSC_0291_zpsnxdexwla.jpg

Once she got over the kidney problems, she improved quickly. I was able to start feeding her soaked haynets and I gradually reduced the amount of hifi lite she got.
In March we started walking in hand. Sometimes she was quiet and walked lovely, other times she was boisterous
DSC_0322_zpsjjsnx8oo.jpg

At the very beginning of May, I was finally given the go ahead to turn her out :)
To start with I used some sedalin and had a friend walk in and out of the field with me to be sure she wouldn't get loose/hurt me.
DSC_0322_zpsjjsnx8oo.jpg

DSC_0347_zps8b5omikv.jpg

DSC_0349_zps3c2mlmfm.jpg

She has lost so much weight and is looking fantastic for it
DSC_0350_zpsbnu83htz.jpg

DSC_0357_zps5qki1z43.jpg

DSC_0358_zps24z6vhwe.jpg

I have been building her turnout up slightly and now allow her 1hour20 minutes turnout every morning, and in the afternoons we now ride in walk, only 1.4 miles at the moment, building up very slowly. I cant feel the pulses in her feet anymore, and I cant keep up with her when she strides across the yard :)
DSC_0366_zpsogxuyf9l.jpg

DSC_0371_zpsvlu1uknf.jpg

I noticed this tonight so took a picture, one of each front hoof
DSC_0372_zps3kbqi3nc.jpg

DSC_0373_zpsdsugnfir.jpg

I cant put into words how happy I am that we overcame this, I had the darkest moments I have ever known in the early days, not only is winter hard as it is but I was going to the yard every day praying for an improvement, pleading with her to eat something, anything, and ultimately being disappointed and depressed when she didn't.

PollyP99

Visit site
Wow, those early shots of her on the floor are just heart wrenching, but you've come through it and she looks fab, well done! As someone who had a nasty box ret filled winter I feel for you and am so glad you are back on board! I am too now and ovine my riding with a new found determination to get out as much as I can, you'll go from strength to strength I'm sure. Xxxx

windand rain

Visit site
Well done for getting her through hopefully now you can enjoy her She looks wonderful in her slim pictures

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have followed your story. Well done. Your dedication & love for your horse shines through. Onwards & Upwards. Ruby is lucky to have you.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I remember your first post and wondered how you were getting on. Sounds like you've been through the mill and some of those pictures are heartbreaking. I'm glad she's coming through it and things are on the up.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so glad she pulled through its so lovely to hear of a happy outcome with such a horrible condition, I was not so lucky and lost my lovely girl to laminitis last year I think of her everyday and still really miss her:(

RubysGold

Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear that pinkvboots. It is an awful awful condition!
Pollyp glad your horse is also back to riding and off rest

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear that pinkvboots. It is an awful awful condition!
Pollyp glad your horse is also back to riding and off rest

thank you I have pictures of Grace when she was really bad she just wanted to lie down all the time but it does help them in the early days when the pain is so bad to take the weight off there feet, I will look forward to reading about her progress x

RubysGold

Visit site
Roo would often be standing when I arrived but then after a while she would just drop down (no pawing and finding the right spot, just go down) she wanted to lie down a lot, but it took the pressure off her feet.
Thanks, I will keep posting as we go :)