We saw a monster on our hack today *WARNING - graphic photo*

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
image_zpsakwk0knm.jpg

It was awful - snorting, shaking, running backwards into some bloke building a wall and spinning round. Daft lad got himself into such a state that we had to go in the school for 30 mins when we returned just to calm down.

Be careful out there - they eat horses you know!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Lol ... We had a similar episode last year hacking thru a field of cow parsley ... He took objection to one particular piece of cow parsley that also differentiated itself by its ability to eat horses!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Don't forget to watch out for that purple flower, you know, the one that is with the white flowers... and that green leaf, that is paler than the other million green leaves..... AND that patch of earth on the bank, just past the mole hill and the drain cover.
Full of monsters out there..... be safe.....

eggs

Visit site
Made me smile.

Aren't we lucky that our horses are all so alert to the horse eating horrors out there that us mere mortals are unable to identify!

Annagain

Visit site
My horse can be a bit of a div now and again but the only time his spooking caused me to fall off, the reason for such a violent spin was the lesser known evil beer bottle. It was lurking in plain sight in the middle of the road ready to pounce on the poor 17hh, then 18 yr old boy who had just calmly walked past an ambulance with full sirens and flashing lights, followed by a lorry, a bus and a JCB.

PorkChop

Visit site
I had a mare that once jumped a substantial hedge rather than go past some daffodils :) so your post brought back happy memories ...... not :)

Pie's mum

Visit site
You should be grateful!! He saved you from certain death!! These daffodils are terribly dangerous you know!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My mare doesn't usually spook or mess about on hacks but yesterday stopped and spun round on a track we have travelled zillions of times and absolutely refused to move forward...there were two (bottomless?)puddles on the track ..had to get off and walk her past then get on again. Fine on the way back..bizarre.

Montyforever

Visit site
Silly horse! Yellow flowers are harmless, its only the individual purple flowers that eat ponies .. Groups of purple flowers can safely be ignored but when they sneak around alone you have to watch your back!

JLD

Visit site
Yup. Daffodils reduced my old boy ( hefty 16.3 ID x built like a barn ) to a snorting prancing mess. Not bothered by huge lorries with flapping sides and air brakes squeezing through narrow lanes, Fire engines etc . But a single or god forbid host of daffodils nearly finished us off . We hated spring !

L&M

Visit site
Dock leaves are my lads nemesis on a hack - especially if they are shiny from rain/sun or move in the wind……but the ones in his field are apparently quite acceptable?!

Thriller

Visit site
lol someone likes their comforts too much then eh? Yes human, feed me and rug me and give me a big snuggly bed, i'm not ready to be out looking after myself!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
image_zpsakwk0knm.jpg

It was awful - snorting, shaking, running backwards into some bloke building a wall and spinning round. Daft lad got himself into such a state that we had to go in the school for 30 mins when we returned just to calm down.

Be careful out there - they eat horses you know!

Yep, I know, my previous horse was petrified of them, would snort, spook, run backwards or forwards, and if it moved....well that was it! He'd just run off shaking!

LittleGinger

Visit site
Brilliant.

I have never heard of a horse being scared of daffodils before - seems it's not uncommon though!

Ginger was the opposite - he once took total advantage of my having one hand on the reins to wave a car past/thank the driver and scoffed some flowers from a bush by someone's garden... No one was there to see but I was mortified when I turned back round and saw what he was doing!

Madam Min

Visit site
Ha ha! Definitely something Chloe would freak at! We had a pure meltdown last spring @ a leaf blowing on the floor!! Hack out past cars, trucks but a leaf OMG!