We survived our first proper showjumping

Abi90

Visit site
Well it was interesting. Poor Rosie was rather overwhelmed my the atmosphere with the tannoy, the buzzer noise, the music and the timers. She’s been to Dressage at the same venue but it was more sedate.

Round one, 60cm, was horrendous but we got around without a run out and jumped all fences she stopped at from a stand still.

Round 2, 70cm, she almost enjoyed this one and jumped far better and started to take me into a fence.

My boots fell apart, literally, and my friend had to do a boot swap whilst I was on the horse but other than that all positive and no disasters. My lower leg has also managed to sort itself out as well it would seem!E6482A47-C1D2-45F8-84CC-2CE5A28E2850.jpeg

Abi90

Visit site
So chuffed with her. She was so honest bless her! I’m a bit tired now though

BunnyDog

Visit site
WELL DONE!!!! Survival and staying on are the keys. You should allow yourself to start learning to think of the time between rounds as an Etch a sketch toy. You can reset it all back to nothing and no one will care. What I mean by that is that the most God awful round in the world is over as soon as you cross the finish. So you can find the good bits and focus on them and chuck the crap. Life goes on and you get to do it all again, so you can improve all the rough bits and not hold the past against yourself.

When I was a trainer this was the biggest thing I wanted my students to remember. Don't punish yourself for something that doesn't carry forward. It's not the Olympics or a Nations Cup. It's called "Learning" for a reason. And you should enjoy it on some level.

Em

Abi90

Visit site
WELL DONE!!!! Survival and staying on are the keys. You should allow yourself to start learning to think of the time between rounds as an Etch a sketch toy. You can reset it all back to nothing and no one will care. What I mean by that is that the most God awful round in the world is over as soon as you cross the finish. So you can find the good bits and focus on them and chuck the crap. Life goes on and you get to do it all again, so you can improve all the rough bits and not hold the past against yourself.

When I was a trainer this was the biggest thing I wanted my students to remember. Don't punish yourself for something that doesn't carry forward. It's not the Olympics or a Nations Cup. It's called "Learning" for a reason. And you should enjoy it on some level.

Em

Excellent advice! Although in this instance I am only seeing positives with a young horse who was obviously worried who still god on with job, no matter how unstylishly, and listened to me 😊

BunnyDog

Visit site
Excellent advice! Although in this instance I am only seeing positives with a young horse who was obviously worried who still god on with job, no matter how unstylishly, and listened to me 😊

Even better. Keep up that positive attitude. Very cute horse btw!!!

Em